Unify common entry fields, e.g. item type Thesis: Why '# of Pages' instead of 'Pages'

Hello, this is my first forum entry and I'm not even sure if this is the right way to reach the developers. This is just an absolute minor request, but in order to improve things I thought it might help.

For example, If I import PDFs for which metadata cannot be found completely automatically, the default item type is 'Journal Article'. Often the number of pages of the document is recognized, which is very nice. However, if I change the item type to thesis, the pages information is lost due to the fact that item type thesis does not have 'Pages', it has '# of Pages'. If there aren't any sophisticated reasons behind this, it would be great if such entry fields could be unified for all item types.

I use (among others) Zotero 5.0.69 on Ubuntu.
  • Pages and Number of Pages are different things—Pages is the subset page range in a larger work. Number of pages is the total number of pages in the work (or the container, such as for the book containing a book chapter).

There are a few quirks in fields that should be transportable across types (these will be fixed in an upcoming version), but in general when fields don’t map, it’s reasonable.