Zotero tab in Microsoft Word repeatedly disappears

Report ID: 1243461972
Zotero version: 5.0.69
Operating system: Windows 10

Problem: The Zotero tab on Microsoft Word repeatedly disappears. I can get it to reappear and function by manually copying the Zotero.dotm file into my Word startup folder (even though the Zotero.dotm file is already in the folder), but then if I relaunch Word, the Zotero tab disappears again.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Microsoft Word
2. Open Zotero
3. Zotero tab does not appear in Microsoft Word toolbar

I followed these instructions: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#windows

Here’s what I’ve tried:
-If I follow Zotero -> Preferences -> Word Processors -> “Reinstall LibreOffice/Microsoft Word Add-in,” it gives me the error message: “Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is closed, and then restart Zotero,” even though Microsoft Word was closed, and I also had restarted Zotero.
-In Zotero -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions -> “Zotero for Windows Integration“ is enabled
-I’m running Zotero on the same user as Word.
-I don’t have any extra security software
-I don’t believe I have multiple Zotero profiles that would interfere with the -no-remote command-line option
-In the Developer tab -> Word add ins -> Zotero.dotm is present and clicked
Under Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Add-ins -> “Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher” and “Disable all Application Add-ins” are unchecked
-Under Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Macro settings -> “Disable all macros with notification” is clicked but haven’t gotten a notification
-Lastly, I have also tried manually installing the Zotero Word processor plug-in by copying the Zotero.dotm file to my Word Startup folder (https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation). When I do so, the Zotero.dotm file is already in my Word startup folder. When I replaced the current file with the new Zotero.dotm file, and then opened up Word again, the Zotero tab appeared and was functional. A few minutes later, I closed Word and re-opened it, and Zotero was gone again. Manually copying the Zotero.dotm file worked again, but I’m worried that this will keep happening.
-Sometimes when I copy the Zotero.dotm file into my Startup folder, I get the error message: “The action can’t be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again,” even though Microsoft Word is not open.
  • edited July 8, 2019
    You're saying that simply replacing the existing file in the Startup folder causes it to reappear? That would be pretty strange. Are you sure it's not just a question of the tab sometimes appearing after restarting Word?

After this happens, has the timestamp or file size of the Zotero.dotm file changed? Replacing the file with an identical file obviously shouldn't have any affect.

Are you running any non-standard security software on this computer?
  • Thanks for the reply.

I agree that it doesn't make sense that replacing the existing file would help, that's just what I noticed. I tried restarting Word multiple times, and restarting it alone didn't cause the tab to reappear.

The timestamp of the Zotero.dotm file did not change when I replaced it, I didn't notice if the file size did. Right now the Zotero tab is still present, but if it disappears again and I do the process over again, I'll let you know if the file size changes.

I'm not running any non-standard security software.

Thank you for your help!
  • (one other recent quite similar report of this, can't find the link right now, though)
  • I have encountered a similar problem with word and windows 10 plus the most recent zotero version. In my case, with someone from the technical help desk at my University, we have tried everything laytonem also names for 2 hours but could not get word connect to zotero for a longer Lasting period. my colleague installed the same Version on a Mac and everything worked fine.
    we found this link of Manual word processor installation to never actually lead to the possibility of Installation but to be some kind of circle. there must be an error in it:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation
  • we found this link of Manual word processor installation to never actually lead to the possibility of Installation but to be some kind of circle. there must be an error in it:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation
    No, these are correct. What do you mean by "some kind of circle"?
  • thanks for the reply and remark, sorry, I meant this to lead in a circle. Where you never get to install, but only change between seeing the same pages over and over again.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation

The word_processor_plugin_manual_installation or word_processor_plugin_trouble_shooting has not worked out for us.