Zotero integration with Word 2011 and Word 2017

REPORT ID: 327280152

I am using the most recent version of Zotero (5.0.69) and Word 2011 (14.7.2). The connection between my Word document and Zotero appears to be broken. When I try to add a citation, or change the style, I get an identical message: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document." The log shows the following history, repeating several times:

[JavaScript Error: "The connection to wss://stream.zotero.org/ has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/streamer.js" line: 155}]

[JavaScript Error: "WebSocket connection closed: 1006 "]

I have followed the suggestions listed in the debugging broken documents troubleshooting guide (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents), to no avail (though perhaps I was not sufficiently thorough with step 9; I am unsure). I have also tried saving the document both in DropBox and locally; the results are the same.

An extra puzzle: I generated the report ID listed above from my laptop, but the same issue occurs on my desktop, almost -- but not exactly -- in an identical way. On my laptop (Zotero (5.0.69) and Word 2011 (14.7.2), the issue occurs with the document in question only (regardless of whether I have saved the file as a copy). On my desktop (Zotero 5.0.69 and Word 2017 (15.32), the issue occurs with the document in question as well as other pre-existing documents (including documents that _will_ connect to Zotero on my laptop), but newly created files, on the desktop, do not have this issue.

Please help! Thank you!
  • Start by upgrading to 14.7.7, which is the last version of Word 2011.
  • Thanks. I've now updated Word -- but the integration issue persists as before.
  • OK, see the debugging steps. Note that, as it explains, the last step basically has to work by definition unless the problem still occurs after completely clearing the copy of the document.
  • Also there is no Word 2017. It is Word 2016, 2019 or the 365 version, either of which should update to at least 16.xx, so whatever you have on your desktop is also not up to date.

However, what you are seeing is probably unrelated to that given the error in your report log
    [JavaScript Error: "Note index sequence is not sane for citation wIAPgQGV"]
    Could you follow step 8 on the debugging instructions and send the smallest broken snippet to support@zotero.org? You will likely need at least 2 footnote citations to reproduce and one of them is likely in a table, text field, caption or similar.
  • Thanks for getting back to me. Will check the desktop Word version when I'm back at the office tomorrow. Apologies for the confusion.

On the laptop, I have followed Step 8 to show the field codes but for what it's worth, the document in question has no tables, in-text citations, or captions, only endnotes (112 of them). I will email the citation referenced in the report log now.

In case it's helpful: I briefly, this evening, re-installed a previous version of Zotero (5.0.66), and the issue went away.

Thank you!
  • edited July 9, 2019
    (Adomas meant Step 9. We recently added a step.)
  • Oh! Thanks for catching that so quickly. Embarking on Step 9 now. Will send the snippet via email once I locate it.
  • Actually, quick follow up: I found the problematic citation, deleted it from the document, and the issue is resolved! No need for further intervention.

Should I also delete the entry from my Zotero library or are we now in the clear?

Many thanks.
  • Can you make a copy of the document, cut it down to the snippet that reproduces the problem, and email to us? We still need that to fix the problem.
  • Sent. Thanks.