Datenbank "komprimieren"

Guten Morgen

Laienhafte Frage Nr. 1:
Die Zotero-Datenbank, in der ich meine Privatbibliothek erfasse, hat inzwischen die 300-MB-Schwelle überschritten. Bei Programmen wie "MS Access" gibt es die Möglichkeit, die Datenbank zu "komprimieren", d.h. sie auf einen Bruchteil der Größe, aber ohne Informationsverlust, zu reduzieren. Gibt es das bei "sqlite" auch?

Viele Grüße (mit der Bitte um Vergebung, wenn diese Frage schon irgendwo beantwortet wurde)
  • The 300 mb only refers to syncing attachment files (PDFs, etc.) to Zotero’s servers. There is no limit to the amount of item data (title, year, notes, etc.)—the stuff that is stored in the sqlite database—that you can sync. Also, there is no limit to the amount of files you can store in Zotero locally on your computer.

If you don’t want to sync files across computers, you can disable file sync in the Zotero preferences. Files are compressed when they are synced. If you do want to sync files, you can upgrade to a larger storage quota at http://zotero.org/storage or you can use a free WebDAV cloud provider to sync more files https://zotero.org/support/kb/webdav_services
  • Dear Brenton
    I guess I have produced a misunderstanding: My question has nothing to do with storage quota. The problem is much simplier: The greater the database - the slowlier the handling (loading, searching etc.). "Compression" in my sense means: to eliminate fragmented or empty entries in the database. Or is there a "in-built cleaner" in the program?
    Best regards
    PS: Versteht jemand Deutsch? Mein Englisch ist nicht besonders gut.
  • Feel free to respond in English—I can figure it out fine, and there are many German speakers here who can also respond.

Zotero does automatically clean up the database periodically when it is idle.
  • edited July 5, 2019
    Zotero does automatically clean up the database periodically when it is idle.
    It does? I thought people had seen performance improvements when running sqlite vacuum in the past. Does Zotero now do this automatically? Does it do something else?
  • I had thought that it now did automatically vacuum the database periodically.
  • Only thing I could find in the changelog was vaccum after clearing the index. Could @dstillman clarify? Also, any risk in vacuuming the Zotero DB?
  • edited July 6, 2019
    We don't currently vacuum the DB automatically on idle, but, as a temporary and undocumented measure, we do vacuum it if you run Check Database Integrity in the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the preferences. That's not something we actively recommend, but there shouldn't be any harm, and it's possible it could speed things up for some people. You'll need twice the size of your database in free disk space.

I'd like a better solution here, but doing this in an automated way without causing disruption when people might have >1 GB databases is tricky, and I'd really prefer to avoid making this a manual operation, since it's really not something people should have to think about. We also just haven't tested this rigorously enough yet to know what the benefits or drawbacks might be with different size databases. Moving the full-text index into a separate file might also be a prerequisite.