Why is my Zotero Word Plug-In Unstable?

I am working on my dissertation using:
- Zotero (Version 5.0.69)
- MS Word (365 Pro PLUS, Version 1905, Build 11629.20246)
- Chrome (Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit))
- On a Windows 10 Dell XPS computer (All latest updates installed)
- When I check for updates to Zotero I am told I am up-to-date.

Each time I open Word to work on my dissertation, there is less than to 50/50 chance the Zotero plug-in will appear in my Word ribbon. I then follow the instructions at:
https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#windows :

Check if Zotero plugin is correctly installed

Open Word Options
Choose “Customize Ribbon”
On the right pane tick the “Developer” tab
Close the options and in the new Developer tab in the ribbon click “Word Add-ins”
Make sure Zotero.dotm is present and ticked
If Zotero.dotm is present and ticked under Word Add-ins

It then works for the remainder of that day.

I have also followed these steps...but everything is all-set:
Open Word Options
Choose “Trust Centre” and in the pane click “Trust Centre Settings…”
Under “Add-ins” make sure that “Require Application Add-ins to be signed by
Trusted Publisher” and “Disable all Application Add-ins” are unchecked.
Restart Word.

My question:
- What am I missing? What could be causing regular failures of the plug-in to load? It is not always, but it is frequent enough to be a bother. And given this is my dissertaion, I am fearful there will come a day when even this work-around fails.

Any thoughts would be helpful and much appreciated!!!

• Does the Developer ribbon also disappear each time or do you actively hide that? Typically the Developer ribbon should stick around once enabled. If it doesn't, it suggests something on your computer is resetting Word's ribbons on each restart.
  • I have been actively hiding it, but will leave it on this time for a few days and see what happens. Stay tuned!
  • edited June 30, 2019
    OK...this morning the Zotero activated right along with the Developer tab. This afternoon when I restarted to resume work, the Developer ribbon stayed on, but Zotero disappeared. After restarting the PC two times, it appeared again.

• edited July 2, 2019
    We haven't seen reports of anything like this, although I seem to recall to having experience it a few years back. Reinstalling Windows (for some other unrelated reason) seem to have fixed it. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about being unable to restore the Zotero tab permanently from this.

EDIT: Perhaps it wasn't a reinstall, but a Word update that fixed it even before reinstalling, so that is something to try.