Terminal stop in all citations

edited June 29, 2019
If I cite a book in a footnote I almost always want to follow the citation with the page number(s). However, all the styles seem to include a terminal stop at the end of a citation when it is inserted, so I cannot replace that with a comma and the page number. I have tried editing the style sheet in Zotero, but can't find this terminal stop (only the one for the bibliography version of the citation). The same is true if I want to say <book> cited in <another book>. I can't believe this isn't something other users have encountered, so I must be missing something really obvious, though I've combed the preferences etc. Can you help, as I'm probably going to have to go back doing this all manually just so that I can get rid of the terminal stop! Many thanks in advance.
  • How are you adding the page number---by editing the citation in the word processor text, or by opening the citation for editing via the Zotero buttons in the word processor?
  • Thank you very much for your quick reply. I'm a Zotero 'virgin' I'm afraid, so I'm still feeling my way (I avoided Endnote, so this is my first time using a citation tool). Apologies if I'm just being a total klutz: within Word I click on the Zotero button then choose the document I want to cite. This inserts it in the footnote in Word (followed by a stop). I have just tried 'editing the citation' within Word and got rid of the stop but that resulted in a weird warning message that wasn't clear, and the stop came back as soon as Zotero updated.
  • What style are you using?
  • I have tried Chicago 17th, Hart's rules (Oxford) and OUP HUMSOC. All have a terminal stop. I can edit it out (fiddly, but possible), but if I do that Zotero can no longer update the entries unless I revert to the original form. It just sent up 13 alarms when I inserted a new reference, and I had to dismiss each one individually. Now of course, none of those citations will update e.g. if I spot an error in the information in the database, or switch around citations in the document. The only way around this would be to leave all footnote punctuation to be fixed right at the end. It seems very unintuitive.
  • If I could find out where the stops are coming from using the style editor I could get rid of them for the styles I use most often, but I've been through with a fine-tooth-comb and failed to find the one(s) I'm trying to remove, so I wonder if they're coming from somewhere else, so Zotero automatically concludes each citation with a stop?
  • Independent of citation style, though, see https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites for inserting page number and other comments with Zotero citations.
  • That's excellent, and with any luck will sort out most of my issues. It still seems odd to have the stop hard-coded, but I think this will sort it out. Very many thanks! Apologies to anyone I have annoyed!