Fallback sync address

I'm using Zotero with my local webdav FreeNAS and it works great! I use Zotero as a general journal paper library and because of that I have gigabytes of data on the database. It still works amazing!

Since Zotero's storage is on my local network but also exposed to the internet, in principle I can choose to either use a network address or the internet name for it but not both. So it occurred to me that it would be nice if there was the possibility of implementing an address and a fallback address. I see at least 2 use cases of this:

1 - If the main address is part of a local network and the other on the internet, it opens the possibility of using the high bandwidth of the local network preferentially and use the internet only when outside.
2 - If both addresses are internet ones, there is the possibility of having a second one in case the first one fails.

If Zotero is used on my style or as an institutional repository, I see advantages in this functionality. Would it make sense to you? Is this viable to implement?
  • In principle you should be able to do this with a round-robin DNS setup where one name maps to both IPs. But why not always use the public IP? That will work locally too in most setups. If you're on your local network, your traffic wouldn't hit the internet, your router would recognize that it's local and deal with it strictly locally.
  • Split-horizon, not round-robin (which is something different). But yeah, this should be handled either by DNS or the router, and it's not something we'd implement.
  • Eh yeah, sorry about that terminology switch. But in the end I don't think anything needs to be done at all -- if you use the external address, most router setups will achieve the same as using the local address if you're on the local network.