Library not syncing to new computer

Debug output ID: D323857116

I have a Zotero library on my old Macbook, but am unable to sync to my new Macbook.

I have only one account (username: aloshbau). This is a fresh install of Zotero on the new computer, and it is up to date.

When I log in to the zotero website through the browser, I can see my library has uploaded from my old computer to the website and is named "Library".

When I open Zotero on my new computer and go to sync preferences (logged in as aloshbau) and select "Choose Libraries..." the only option to sync is "My Library & Feeds". Selecting this option does not sync the "Library" that has been uploaded to the cloud.

I have been waiting several days to see if it would sync over time. I don't see any sync errors.

How can I sync my library to my new computer?

Edit: Just discovered that there's a tiny green button on the main window that initiates the sync. This is really confusing. There's a whole tab in preferences to set up syncing. When I go through that and select automatic syncing, it should just sync. That extra step of pressing the button was in a totally different place, not mentioned anywhere, and shouldn't take a week to find.

Thank you!
  • Sorry for the confusion. For what it's worth, this just doesn't really come up as an issue. Most people set up syncing and then continue to use Zotero, in which case it syncs within 15 seconds of any edit. And people setting up syncing on a new computer are generally familiar with the sync button from their previous computer — it's a standard toolbar button, uses a standard sync icon, and spins whenever syncing is ongoing. But kicking off syncing when syncing is set up with auto-sync enabled probably makes sense, so I've created a ticket for that.
  • edited June 27, 2019
    Thank you, that would be really helpful. I never had to bother with sync before this because I was only on one computer. And on my new computer I didn't want to edit the library at all until I was sure it was syncing with the old library. I read the help article about problems with syncing and it didn't mention the little green button anywhere. I spent way too much time debugging this lol
  • I just had the same problem, then found this. It would be great to automate the actual sync process when a new download of Zotero is being set up to sync - it's not clear that one hasn't set the sync in motion by enabling it with the password!