Minor error inputting autofill names

This error is minor, but happens often for me when I'm typing too quickly.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Begin typing the name of any existing author in your library, to populate the autofill dropdown.
2. Arrow key down to highlight the right name.
3a. If you press enter the name is inserted correctly.
3b. If you press tab, the full name (last-comma-first) is inserted in the last-name field, and the first-name field is selected but blank.

I realize that perhaps logically tab should highlight the first-name field in this scenario, but when autofill supplies full names, that's not necessary. Or maybe this is intentional, so that if you do choose one of the last-name-only options you can then supply the first name. (That would only be useful if you happen to have two authors with the same last name and want to save time typing it out though, which seems much rarer than inputting the full name. Still, if that is intentional, I suppose it would be very difficult to automatically distinguish the intent of a tab in that case.

Anyway, I do this at least once per day, and then just have to go back and fix it. Not a big problem, but would make things smoother for me if (3b) worked like (3a).

Zotero for Mac (current version, but this has always been the case, just thought to mention it now).
  • I noticed this same issue while manually adding citations to the desktop application in Windows last week. I am using version 5.0.88.

Today names are also being entered incorrectly when I press Enter, inserting the full name into the surname field. I've reviewed previous discussions of this issue and my data. The only instances of the name being saved incorrectly as one long surname are those created today by this issue.

Is there a fix? This behavior should never happen, and less than a week after I found this workaround, it also does not work reliably.
  • Just confirming this that error happens regardless of pressing 'enter' or 'tab'. Seems almost random when Zotero decides to add the first and last names into the same field when using auto-complete.

Similarly, I have noticed that Zotero requires very slow typing to suggest names correctly. Meaning if I type slightly faster than 0.5 letters/second, autofill will not catch the authors name I am typing. Feeling like the sloth from Zootopia over here. Any work arounnds we know of?

Zotero 5.0.95
  • I'm having the same issue. Sometimes it autocompletes correctly and other times puts both "last, first" all in the last name field. I can't tell why as it seems totally random when it works and when it doesn't. I'm not getting any difference between tab/enter.
    Especially when entering a large number of references, this is really annoying.

Running 5.0.96.2 on Mac.