Error when dragging items back into group library collection, after editing in personal library

Hello,

I had to do some batch editing of a lot of items that I had in a group library collection. To do that, I found a JavaScript that worked perfectly in my personal library but not in the group.

As a workaround, I dragged the items into a collection in my personal library and performed all the batch editing I wanted to. So far so good.
To my surprise, however, when I dragged them back to the group library the simply lost all the editing that was done - they re-assumed the field values they had prior to the editing. This happened with all the fields, even the title.

I have tried to rename both the Local and the Roaming folders with no success. As far as I could tell, this is not machine related, but server cached. In Zotero online there is no way to test this, as the items cannot be moved from a personal to a group library in any way - at least that I was able to find (export/import is not an option).

The only way to get the items back to the group library, without loosing all the changes, was to export the items in Z Standalone, import them back (ticking the option to create a new collection) and then, finally, drag them back to the group library...

I'm sure there must be a better way to do this. Loosing all the editing when you drag the items back is a actual issue.
Could someone please help?

• You're not losing the editing -- the items just don't copy.
    Currently, you can't drag the same item to a group twice (which means you can't drag an item back and forth between group and personal library); you'd have to delete the original items from the group and empty the group trash before you can succesfully dragged their edited counterparts.
  • Thanks a lot for the reply.
    OK, I think I got it (newbie mistake): when you delete an item in a collection, you are not deleting the item out of the library. For an item to be eliminated from the library you have to do that in its “root folder”. When you delete an item in the collection, you are only deleting its “avatar” or image in the collection, not the item itself.
  • This also means that all the items in question are now duplicated in my group library, after the export/edit/import that I did before.