Edit a Citation in Microsoft Word for Mac (version 16.26) is not working

Report ID: 843484558

Problem:
I have been trying to edit a citation in Microsoft Word for Mac (version 16.26), but zotero crashes after that.

Any idea what would be the problem?

System:
macOS Mojave, version 10.14.5
Microsoft Word for Mac, version 16.26

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start Zotero in a blank word document.
2. Add a single citation in this document (e.g. Global Warming [1])
3. Try to edit the cited reference (e.g. Global Warming [1], select the reference 1 by press Edit);
4. Zotero will crash and produce the following error:

Zotero Integration Error:
Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?

Thanks, Fernando

• Do you have a standalone Edit Citation button in there? If so, you should reinstall the plugin from Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors.
  • I am getting the same error. I'm on the same macOS, but Microsoft Word for Mac, version 16.16.11 (the latest available for me). I've tried reinstalling the plugin and this hasn't worked.
  • @kelman Do you see the error even in a new document? If not, see the debugging broken documents instructions.
  • Hi @adomasven Same error even in a completely new document. And it's only when trying to edit citations, not to add new ones.
  • If you save the document, then close and reopen it, does it work (for at least one citation)? How about if you restart Zotero? Please test these separately and say whether either help.
  • Both of those don't work. Closed MS Word and 'quit the program' too, then re-opened document, and tried the edit any citation, same error again. Same if I also 'quit' Zotero as well.
  • Could you temporarily download Zotero 5.0.66 and check whether you see the problem in that version too?
  • Zotero 5.0.66 works like a charm. So no problem with the previous version.
    Do you think it is linked to the 5.0.67.3 release? Should I disable the auto-update for now, until this issue is resolved? Or do you want me to try to update again to the new version to prove this is the issue?
  • What citation style are you using? Is only editing broken and you can insert new citations fine with 5.0.67.3?
  • Current citation style is "Australian Veterinary Journal". In 5.0.67.3, yes I could add new citations AOK it was only the editing that was broken.
  • I can reproduce this as well. It appears to happen when selecting the entire citation, which is necessary to edit citations in single-character footnote styles like Australian Veterinary Journal, but I see the same thing with APA if I select the whole citation instead of just putting the cursor within it.
  • The error still remains. I reinstalled Microsoft Word for Mac (version 16.26) and the last Zotero version and I still get the same error. I also tried all citation style (Nature and Ecology Letter in particular). The error occur even in a new word document.
  • @kelman, @fdbesanto2: This should be fixed in the latest Zotero beta, and the fix will be included in 5.0.69 soon.
  • Thanks @dstillman. Just updated to 5.0.69 and so far, so good.