APA style: Bibliograhy of "presentation" broken

I am in general happy with the APA 6th ed. Style, but the "presentation" type seems to be seriously broken. If you enter a location (say "Munich") and leave the "Meeting Name" empty you get the following in the bibliography:

"Presented at the Munich. Munich."

This is obviously wrong.

Interestingly, as soon as you add a "Meeting Name" (e.g. "research conference") it looks much better:

"Presented at the research conference. Munich."

Would it be possible to fix this behaviour?
  • You generally should definitely cite with a meeting name (where exactly in Munich was this presented?). As you see, when the fields APA style needs are filled, the reference renders correctly.

But I came across this quirk the other day as well.
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/issues/4126

@adamsmith The problem here is that Zotero maps Place to both “publisher-place” and “event-place”. The display logic in the style relies on the “event” variable to prevent printing both. I could add some more conditional logic to improve this edge case, but it seems somewhat not worth it because:
    1. It’s an edge case I suspect is rare.
    2. It still wouldn’t produce correct output (the “presented-at” term wouldn’t appear).
    3. It’s would only be done to work around Zotero’s double-mapping behavior.

I’m inclined to leave this until Zotero can fix the CSL mapping for Place (@dstillman Is this something that could be changed before 5.1 like the type mapping for Podcast recently)?

Thoughts?
  • @bwiernik: The problem is that the Zotero database currently has only a single database column for "place." Addressing the issue in Zotero will require a schema revision.

The Extra field key:val inputs are normally overridden by content in the corresponding item field (so of no use here currently), but there is an exception, in Zotero, for date values. We could extend the exception to include place as well, if that will help.
  • And the mapping for “place” is shared across item types—not changeable per item type?

With place, the Extra field isn’t that helpful because the typical need would be to override the Zotero field with a null value (as here). Users could specify an Event Place in Extra and leave the Zotero field empty.
  • I'm not sure how the CSL mappings work, but there is only one value, and if both publisher-place and event-place are valid for an item type, it will be set on both in CSL JSON.

I see what you mean about relying on the Extra field. It sounds like your suggested workaround (leaving Zotero place fields empty and setting them on Extra) would work in current Zotero.
  • @terber If you want to leave the meeting name blank, enter the place in Extra like this:
    Event place: Munich, Germany