Unfiled Items in Group Library

Hi all -

I have a group library with several folders. The total library number and the folder numbers line up between zotero.org and my standalone, but my standalone has an unfiled items folder that is contributing to the total library number. Which means the number of items in each folder online doesn't sum to the total library number. Basically this:

zotero.org:
Library - 400
Folder 1 - 100
Folder 2 - 100
Folder 3 - 100

Standalone:
Library - 400
Folder 1 - 100
Folder 2 - 100
Folder 3 - 100
Unfiled Items - 100

These records were all imported via RIS files, so I know that each folder should hold 100, and that the total library number should be 300 (not 400).

Is there any reason to be hesitant about trashing all of the items in the standalone Unfiled Items folder?

Should my zotero.org group library have an Unfiled Items folder?

I have no idea how that Unfiled Items folder in my standalone was even populated, since all of the individual, named folders hold the appropriate number of records.

I've logged out and back in, closed and reopened Chrome, cleared my cache, and tried Firefox. All the same.

I'm using Chrome on a MacBook Pro 10.13.6, Zotero 5.0.66

Many thanks!
  • The numbers agree. “Unfiled Items” is a special collection that lists all of the items in a library that aren’t in any collection. You have 400 items in the library, 100 of which are not in any collection.
  • Thanks for your response bwiernik!

I think I wasn't clear enough, though...

The numbers do agree - there are 400 titles total. So both online and in my standalone it correctly indicates that there are a total of 400 records in the library. What I was trying to indicate above is that I only imported 3 ris files, creating a total of 3 folders, so I don't know how anything made it in to Unfiled Items. Regardless, the number of files that currently exist in the group library is 400.

In my standalone it breaks those 400 out into Folders 1, 2, 3, and Unfiled Items, but online there are only Folders 1, 2, and 3 (no Unfiled Items folder). So the 100 that live in Unfiled Items locally do not live anywhere OTHER than in the full library online.

So basically I'm just wanting to know if Unfiled Items folders exist for Group libraries. The rest I can live with (like the Unfiled Items folder being populated in my standalone - I don't know that happened but I can delete the files without losing anything...I hope).

Thanks!
  • No, you are misunderstanding. See here http://zotero.org/support/collections_and_tags#special_collections

Unfiled Items is automatically generated—it is a search for all of the items in your library that are not part of any collection. You have 400 items in your library. There are three collections (Folder 1, Folder 2, Folder 3), each of which has 100 items. There are also 100 items not in any collection. In the Zotero app, you can see all of those 100 no-collection items alone in the Unfiled Items special collection. The Unfiled Items special collection (as well as saved searches and Duplicate Items) aren't currently viewable in the online webview, but the items are all certianly the same both online and in the Zotero app.

If you only imported 3 RIS files, you probably imported one of them twice. That's why you have 400 items in your library, not 300. You can check this by opening the Duplicate Items view in the Zotero app (not online, see the link above) and see if you have 100 duplicates. You can also sort your library by Date Added (https://www.zotero.org/support/sorting) and see if there is an identical batch of 100 items imported twice.
  • lol, I’m still not being clear. I understand fully what’s happening in my local library/why those records are in the Unfiled Items folder, I just wanted to know if there were a separate folder that holds those records online. In other words, should there be an Unfiled Items folder online where you can view these orphaned files.

The extra 100 records is an entirely separate issue, nothing to do with online vs standalone.
    The only reason I brought it up was to clarify (hilarious) that I knew where the “extra” 100 records were coming from because I could see locally that they were unfiled items. But if I were looking online I wouldn’t know why the folders indicated 300 when the total library holds 400. And also I could not view only those records in order to move them into another folder.

At the end of the day I just wanted to know if there were supposed to be an Unfiled Items folder online to match the local one. I’m guessing from all of this that the answer is no, at least for group libraries. I was able to correct it this time around, and good to know for our next project.

I wouldn’t worry any more about it, but thank you for your help!
  • No, the Unfiled Items view doesn't currently exist online.
  • I would like to view the unfiled items collection online.