Zotero fails in Google Doc

Hi everyone, I've been using Zotero in Google docs for more than a year now. It always worked well. Since yesterday, I've tried to add a citation in Google docs. I can select the reference I want and press enter to include it. Then the red bar shows progress but never insert the reference at the end.

I've clean up my library to make sure I have storage. I've restarted both Safari and Zotero and restarted my computer. I've also checked that the Zotero extension is still allowed in my Safari preferences. But the problem is still the same.

Could anyone help me please?
Thanks!
  • Does it work well in a new document?
  • Yes in a new google doc it does!
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

1. Begin by restarting both Safari and Zotero.
    2. Open the Zotero Connector preferences
    3. In the Advanced tab of the Zotero Connector preferences, check the box next to “Enable Logging.” Do not close this tab.
    4. Attempt to insert a citation in a Google Doc which is causing issues. Allow the transaction to run for 10-15mins.
    5. Go back to the Advanced tab of the Zotero Connector preferences, uncheck "Enable Logging" and click Submit to Zotero Server.
    6. You will be provided with a Debug ID (e.g., “D12345678”). Please post the Debug ID in this thread.
  • Thanks I'll do so! I'll be giving you back the Debug ID in 15 min! Thanks for your help!
  • Hi adomasven ! Here is the debug ID D1084922615.! Thanks so much for your help
  • Does the red progress bar from Zotero disappear, or does it stay open and you never get your citation in the document? Does this occur regardless of where you attempt to cite in the document?
  • It says open and I never get the citation in the document.
    Yes it occurs wherever I am in the document.
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero? No need to wait for longer than a couple of minutes this time.

1. Once again begin by restarting Zotero and Safari
    2. In the Zotero Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    3. Attempt to insert the citation. No need to wait for longer than a couple of minutes this time.
    4. Return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • Hi!
    The new Debug ID is D1070256478, thanks!
  • Right, it seems that the code which is supposed to select a citation in the document and display a prompt is failing in Safari. It is not clear whether we will be able to update it, since Apple is dropping support for the types of extensions like the Zotero one in September once Safari 13 comes out. Your best bet is to switch to Chrome or Firefox for citing with Google Docs.
  • Okay! Thanks a lot for the update. When I copy past my google doc link to Chrome, the Zotero plugin is not available anymore. Does this mean that I have to install a specific zotero plugin for Chrome? If yes, does that mean that I have to re-enter all my references in my Google doc? Thanks for your help!
  • Your citations will continue working in the document in Chrome. Go to our download page and click the Install Chrome Connector button. After installation the Zotero plugin will appear in Google Docs
  • I'm using Firefox and have the same issue described by Lucy... the red progress bar from Zotero stays open and I never get the citation in my document.
  • @aliceallen1: Have you tried restarting Zotero and your browser? If so, does it happen in a new document?