How to have Zotero automatically fill in missing metadata from the DOI?

I have a large number of article entries in my library, whose metadata is only partially filled in. In particular, the year entry is missing.

All of these entries have a valid DOI, which I can use for example to use the "add items by identifier" feature. If I do that, a new entry is correctly created with the "year" field correctly filled in.
Unfortunately, this also creates an additional entry instead of amending the already existing one, and using the merge duplicates feature then creates a new entry which *does not* include the year field.

Is there a way to select a bunch of entries and have the metadata be automatically refreshed from the DOI?
  • edited May 25, 2019
    Metadata updating is coming, but for now the easiest thing to do is indeed to use Add Item by Identifier and merge the two items.
    using the merge duplicates feature then creates a new entry which *does not* include the year field
    You just have to choose the right version — either of the item or of the specific field — from the merge pane.
  • Is this automatic filling available now (2024)?