Connector labeling PubMed entries as "Web Page"

I am using Google docs in Chrome, and Zotero has stopped importing the metadata (article, authors, title, etc) from PubMed and most other scientific publisher sites, and treats it all as "web page." I have read through all the FAQs, and double-checked that I have the most recent version of Zotero ("no updates available"), and Chrome is fully updated. I have Zotero open while I am trying to add citations: what should I do?
  • I should clarify: never mind that I'm writing in Google docs; the issue is that Zotero Connector is not importing metadata from any site: PubMed, PsychINFO, or scientific publishers. It treats the article that is listed as a "web page" and doesn't import any of the relevant information.
  • (I understood that -- the link still applies)
  • Thank you for the advice, AdamSmith! I've reset the translator in Zotero, but I can't figure out how to do that in Zotero Connector, and there are no instructions. If I click on "Zotero Connector" in Chrome, it just takes me to the general Zotero website. How do I reset the translator in Zotero Connector?
  • I tried again after resetting the Zotero tranlator, but it is still treating everything as a web page. Here's an exact URL of a page that isn't working:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Do+beliefs+about+whether+others+can+see+modulate+social+seeking+in+autism?
  • Could we get a debug ID from the Chrome connector for loading or reloading that page, please?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_firefox_chrome_and_safari
  • Actually, please click "Update Translators" in the Chrome connector first and try again. Only if that doesn't fix it provide the debug ID.
  • Also, I tried following the instructions opening Zotero Connector preferences in Chrome: "type chrome://extensions into the address bar, press return, and click the “Options” link underneath “Zotero Connector.” But there is no "Options" link under Zotero: only "details" or "remove."
  • I don't see an option to "Update Translators" in the Chrome Zotero Connector. How do you do that?
  • Ok, I found it, by going to "Details" and then "Extension options" then going to "Advanced" then going to "Translators" then clicking "Update translators". And I did it, and it's still not working.
  • Here is the debug ID: D207811201
    Thank you! -Shaun
  • Oops, that was the debug ID from Zotero desktop; here's the debug ID from Zotero Connector in Chrome: D2129297118.
  • It's working now! I rebooted the computer after doing those fixes above, and it's working. Thank you!
  • I was having this issue as well, thanks!
    It would be nice if there was some indication that reset translators or update translators actually happened in the connector for chrome after hitting the button.
  • It's doing it again! Today (5/31/19) I'm getting the same problem: it treats every research journal article as a "web page with snapshot." Do I have to go through this whole series of steps every week?! Is there a better long-term solution?
  • edited May 31, 2019
    So I updated the Zotero Connector in Chrome and it fixed the problem: here's the procedure in (relatively) easy-to-follow format:
    In Chrome: Go to Chrome Zotero Connector by going to the "more" button (3 vertical dots), More tools, Extensions, then “Details" then "Extension options" then "Advanced" then "Translators" then click "Update translators". Then re-boot the computer.
  • edited June 1, 2019
    Translators are updated automatically, so there's no need to update them manually in normal usage. It's more likely that simply restarting your browser — or just reloading the PubMed page — fixed it.