Anormal delay in insertion

Hello,
I am using Zotero 5.0.66
on Macbook Pro /Mojave 10.14.4
I use Zotero connector in Word 16.24

I want to insert citations and create Bibliography on a fairly large corpus (phd)
Insertion alternatvly woks (take a long time) or fail and send a debug message.
In the text, the{Citation} is still present... I have to delete.

Thanks for your help
  • In very long documents, Zotero can slow down as you’ve noticed. Click the Document Preferences button in the Zotero tab in Word and uncheck the “Automatically update citations” box. Then, inserting citations will be much faster. Once you’ve finished writing, click the Refresh button to tell Zotero to update the formatting of all the citations and bibliography. That will take some time, but you will only need to wait for it once.
  • @bwiernik -- I have had this issue too and have turned off the Auto Update citations and use refresh periodically.

Is there a way to get a confirmation message once the refresh process is complete or show some sort of progress bar? There have been times where I have unexpectedly caused errors to occur as I thought the process was done and started writing and then Zotero gave an error message saying that the code Zotero uses to maintain the citations was changed...
  • A progress bar is planned, not not sure when it will be implemented.

The “citation changed” message isn’t an error, and it doesn’t have anything to do with editing while Zotero is updating (though waiting for it to finish isn’t a bad idea). That message indicates that you have manually exited a Zotero Citation field.
  • I only get those messages when I continue to write or edit when I don't know that Zotero wasn't finished.

Is the Zotero plugin for Word written in VBA or another language? (my assumption is from noticing that VBA preceded undo steps listed in the undo button after running the refresh.

While the progress bar is developed an interim step if its VBA a simple line such as

msgbox "Refresh Completed", vbinformation or vbOKOnly, "Zotero"

could be added to the code just at the end of the Sub that runs the refresh process.
  • The plugin is primarily written in JavaScript as part of the main Zotero app. VBA is only used as in interface to Word to control the buttons.