full discursive (substantive or descriptive) paragraph as a footnote.

I have added a couple of "substantive" (term used by Chicago style manual) notes to my Zotero library, using the "standalone" notes field. They do not refer to previously published work, but provide an explanation or brief commentary. When I select them to be used as footnotes to my article, they appear in quotation marks, and the longer one is truncated! 1. How can I make them appear full length? 2. How can they appear without quotation marks? 3. How can I delete them (or keep them from appearing) from the List of references at the end of the article?
  • Just copy their content into a regular Word footnote. Don't cite notes with Zotero (they're not meant to be cited and there's no way to avoid any of the issues you're seeing).
  • Hello - I am new to Zotero, and I have a related question about using a discursive paragraph as a footnote. AdamSmith, I'm curious about this: if I put the content into a regular Word footnote, will the numbering be noticed by Zotero, and so when I'm ready for a citation footnote, using my Zotero library, Zotero will insert the NEXT appropriate number, after the discursive footnote? Thank you. -- Kathy Meacham
  • Yes, you can absolutely combine Zotero-created and Word created footnotes (technically, Zotero doesn't actually insert the footnote -- it tells Word to do that, which is why they're actually the same).