syncing

Sorry, I don't know how to "join" a discussion rather than starting a new discussion (I am not very blog/discussion savvy). I am having troubling syncing with the new 2.0b5 version. Everything was working fine and then suddenly the automatic sync no longer worked. I can manually sync but no automatic even though the automatic box is checked. I read through some discussions and attempted to restore but I keep getting a command to enter my user ID and password under settings first. It's there. I took it out, closed in and out various times and nothing. I have changed my email since I first joined zotero so I thought maybe my user ID had also changed. I tried the new ID and the green arrow just rotates and rotates - no errors, no stopping, no nothing. I tried restoring on the new name - same issue. I put the old name back in and can manually sync again. Can you help me please?!

Thank you!
  • Upgrade to 2.0b6, available now.
  • Okay, I've upgraded to 2.0b6 and so have my two co-workers. We all continue to have problems syncing. My two co-workers have never been able to sync successfully. The error they receive goes something like this: "last error:[Exception . . . "Component returned failure code:(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) {mozistoragestatement.execute]" nsresult:"0x800004005(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location:"JS frame::chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js::anonymous: . . . . . . . . ." No idea what's going on here. Same error is occuring both on the home and work networks.

I have still not been able to automatically sync and when I manually synced after upgrading I received a conflict resolution (what does this mean?). I also tried to restore with no effect. I received 1 of 116 conflicts. I clicked next through the first few and then it freezes and comes up with a box that says "cleanDOI:argument must be a string". Then the thing closes and I have an error over the green arrow that says "empty response from server". I have tried to determine what the conflicts mean (I have received this before). They are different references each time and I thought maybe they were duplicates or something I had changed between syncs but this is not the case. I'm not sure how to avoid this in the future.

Please help! Thx!
  • edited July 8, 2009
    The cleanDOI error should be fixed in 2.0b6.2, but can you explain what you mean by "I also tried to restore with no effect"? See troubleshooting sync errors for more info on the reset options.
  • From the link you provided: "In the Zotero preferences window, go to the Sync tab and then the Reset tab within that. If the data you want to keep is on the server, select “Restore from Zotero server” and click the Reset button. If the data you want is on your computer, select “Restore to Zotero server” and click Reset."

I clicked restore to the server. Nothing appeared to happen and whether something happened or not it didn't resolve any of the problems I described.

Sorry!
  • After you choose "Restore to Zotero Server" the sync icon should begin to spin. If it fails with an exclamation mark, you can hover over it to see the error, and you can also send in an error report using Report Errors under the gear menu and post the Report ID here.
  • Okay, I re-synced automatically, it gave me an error and said I needed to sync manually. I did and there was a conflict resolution again. I went through each reference and finished and now everything seems to working normally. So, two final things:

1). What does the conflict resolution really mean? How do I avoid it?

2). What about the error from my co-workers computers? Will this be resolved by upgrading to the newest version?

Thanks!
  • A conflict occurs if items have been edited on two different computers between syncs. For example, if you change the title of an item on one and change the date on another, and then sync each, you'll get a conflict. With automatic syncing this should be pretty rare. It's more likely to occur with manual syncing or if you've been having syncing problems that have prevented syncing from completing.

There've also been bugs in the past that have caused erroneous conflict messages, but most of these have been fixed.

Re: your co-workers' computers, if they're still having trouble with the latest version, we'd need Report IDs to be able to diagnose.
  • I only have zotero on one computer so I'm not sure how the conflict resolution is occurring but perhaps it has resolved itself now that the syncing issue seems to be resolved. We'll see . . . . I'll ask my co-workers to try syncing again after the upgrade and we'll provide a report ID if necessary.

Stay tuned . . . .
  • We're all on 2.0b6.2 and my co-workers are still getting errors. Here's one error ID:131810257
  • here is another error ID: 196374838
  • another potential conflict could be that i use google chrome as my main browser (obviously, everything zotero-related is through firefox). i have tried syncing with chrome open and with the window closed - it doesn't make a difference. could this be another factor?
  • I am a coworker from the group above. Here is another report error id # 1581998807
  • Hi,

I just wanted to check in and see if these issues were being worked on. We were hoping to all be able to sync and get together on a group library so that we can get some work done.

Thx.
  • Hi eglover - I upgraded from 2.0b6 to 2.0b6.2 today, and my sync problems seem to be solved.
  • From 3 days ago:

eglover
    We're all on 2.0b6.2 and my co-workers are still getting errors.
  • eglover, megantrimnal: The errors you're getting are somewhat unusual, so if one of you could generate debug output for the sync attempt and send it to support@zot....org, we'll take a look.
  • Hi!

Going to 2.0b6.3 created problems with sync too

error report 971495758

I have the same
    "Component returned failure code:(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) {mozistoragestatement.execute]" nsresult:"0x800004005(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location:"JS frame::chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js::anonymous: . . . . . . . . ."

Strange isn't it?
  • raphoumail: Try a Full Sync, and post another Report ID if it continues to give you an error.
  • Hey Dan!

Thanks for the tip, but I have this:
    "Delete reconciliation unimplemented for collections"
    In fact, I have made changes on two different computers and I might have deleted some of the documents; Is that the problem?

report id 1068783726

Thanks a lot!