Occasional errors when using MS Word 365 (Windows 10) integration

My Zotero library will have a single instance of an article but the automatically generated bibliography in MS Word 365 will have a duplicate of that article, sometimes with variations within the fields and sometimes not.

Some cited references in the automatically generated bibliography in MS Word 365 will not exactly match their corresponding references in my Zotero library. For example, an author's first name might be spelled out in the Word doc but abbreviated (incorrect formatting for APA style), but abbreviated in my Zotero library. Clicking "refresh" in Word does not always update the reference to be correct. This doesn't happen most of the time, but only with some citations and references.

It's odd that a few of the references I see in the MS Word bibliography to not exist in my Zotero library, but are variations of references in my Zotero library.
  • If that happens it means that you have cited two different versions of the same item in the document, and later deleted one of them in Zotero. To fix this you need to reinsert every instance of this item citation in the document.
  • (And to avoid this, use merging in Zotero instead of deleting duplicate items.)