Zotero starting error...

edited May 12, 2019
With this message zotero doesn't start in windows 10(64bit)
It's very embarrassing... I need urgent help.

There was an error starting Zotero.

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsILocalFile.createUnique]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js :: Zotero.File</this.moveToUnique :: line 945" data: no]
Zotero.File</this.moveToUnique@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js:945:5
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype._getConnectionAsync@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:1174:15
From previous event:
ZoteroService@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/components/zotero-service.js:351:7
@chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14
  • There was a similar error message on MacOS. Please answer here to dstillman's questions.
  • edited May 13, 2019
    Recently I have failed to start Zotero with error messages as following:
    I'm using [Zotero 5.0.67-beta.8+ebda79a95]+Windows 10(64bit)

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsILocalFile.createUnique]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js :: Zotero.File</this.moveToUnique :: line 945" data: no]
    Zotero.File</this.moveToUnique@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js:945:5
    Zotero.DBConnection.prototype._getConnectionAsync@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:1174:15
    From previous event:
    ZoteroService@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/components/zotero-service.js:351:7
    @chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14
    --------------------------

So, I had to reinstall Zotero and found that my DB was damaged.
    After all, I replaced damaged DB with backup.

Concerning similar type error, distallman asked above, "Are you running any non-standard security software on this computer?" (written December 5, 2018).

As I tried to remember, I thought I had run some programs with warning Windows 10 messages, something like "This is not safe. Do you run this?" when I was running Zotero.

My questions : Can running non-standard security software damage running DB of Zotero? If so, do I have to shut down Zotero before running non-standard security software?

Thanks in advance.

• (That other thread is for a different error. I've moved your message there back to this thread.)
    As I tried to remember, I thought I had run some programs with warning Windows 10 messages, something like "This is not safe. Do you run this?" when I was running Zotero.
    You shouldn't get an error like that, but you would get a prompt the first time you run Zotero confirming that you want to run it. It should also identify Zotero as being published by the Corporation for Digital Scholarship.
    Can running non-standard security software damage running DB of Zotero?
    It shouldn't. Generally, the worst result would be random errors for various file operations — e.g., you might get an error during Zotero file sync that a file couldn't be saved, or Zotero might not be able to update translators or styles, or installation of the word processor plugin might fail.

The error above is a generic error, so it's hard to say what the cause is, but it would happen when 1) your database was corrupted and 2) Zotero got an error trying to move your damaged database out of the way.

Do you have a copy of the database that was supposedly damaged? If so, and it's small enough, you can try uploading it to the DB Repair Tool, not for the repair but to see whether you get a message that the file was corrupted. (You can ignore the download links the tool provides.) If the DB is too big for that, you could open it in an SQLite client and run an integrity check on it. This would all be just to see if the file was actually damaged or whether you were just getting an incorrect error message due to a conflict with other software.