Changing Password

I am using Zotero storage and the Windows Zotero desktop app (5.0.60). I have changed my password for storage at https://www.zotero.org/settings/account. How do I change the password for my desktop app?
  • It's in the preferences under sync. (note that you should update to the most recent version of Zotero, 5.0.66)
  • I have the same Problem...... I can not find it under sync.......
  • I have changed the password for my Zotero account on www.zotero.org as it may have been disclosed. How do I change the password stored by the Zotero Application linked to this account?

1. Start Zotero Application v5.0.66 from Windows 10 desktop
    2. Edit/Preferences-Sync: open Zotero Preferences dialog box - sync tag selected
    3. Select Settings tag to display two UI groups: Data Syncing and File Syncing

The Data Syncing Group contains only buttons for unlink account and choose libraries as well as check boxes for sync automatically and sync full-text. There's no change password button. Clicking unlink account button provides a warning that unlinking my account with prevent me from syncing my data which sounds a bit final. Why isn't there a simple and obvious way to just change my password?
  • edited May 9, 2019
    It doesn't use your password once you've set up syncing, so there's nothing to change. It would only be an issue if someone 1) stole your password and 2) used that password to set up Zotero syncing on another computer.

You can go to your key settings and confirm that there are no "Automatic Zotero Client Key" you're not expecting, and delete any that you don't want. (Right now it just shows the recent IP addresses that used the key, so it's not very user-friendly, but you can check the last-used times and geolocate the IP address using something like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup if you want. In a future update we'll provide more info on the devices and geolocations associated with each.)
  • Thanks for the prompt response. I rather thought it might be something like that as the sync is still working even after the password change. However, it's not optimal as there's no way of stopping anyone with access to a computer on which I've setup Zotero deleting my latest info. I'm thinking of an old departmental computer that anyone with an administrator password can login to. I guess unlinking and then relinking with my new password would address that, yes? Are there any possible downsides to doing that?
  • edited May 9, 2019
    there's no way of stopping anyone with access to a computer on which I've setup Zotero deleting my latest info
    There is — I explained exactly how to do that. You just need to delete any "Automatic Zotero Client Key" entries you're not still using. If you're not sure, you can just delete all except the one used most recently (which should show your current IP address) — you'll just get an error the next time you try to sync on any other computers and need to authenticate again. Anyone else would be unable to sync.
  • sorry, I didn't understand. Deleting the client keys meets my need. Hopefully this discussion will help others. Thanks for your help.