TOXNET citations import

Hi all,

is there a way to import a list of citations from TOXNET into Zotero? Unfortunately, I haven´t figured that out so far. The browser tool only shows the option to import a "web page without snapshot"
Thank you in advance!
  • Could you give a couple of sample URLs?
  • I´m not sure if I got you right since I was not able to generate a link with specific search results. It´s more a general question. If you use just a random search hit from the toxline website (https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov), I did not find a possibility to import these into Zotero. There is a way to download lists as txt files (that are stated as beeing importable to reference managers) but these were not recognized by Zotero (no RIS format?).
    Maybe I overlooked something?
  • Toxnet is a collection of 15+ different databases. Each database has a different way to format the information presented in each record.

With the exception of Toxline, none of the other databases provide records that contain metadata. Some of the other databases provide a way to export the webpage as a plain-text or a pdf file; but not in any citation format. The webpage headers do not contain search engine metadata.

The Toxline database contains journal articles but it doesn’t provide an easy way to capture article metadata (other than in a pseudo-Medline tagged format but with somewhat different tags). Each Toxline record contains a link to the article record on PubMed where you can capture the metadata. (Or, if you are using Toxnet - Toxline to find journal articles, you could instead use PubMed which has a more powerful search system.)

The other Toxnet databases provide record output material as a webpage in several formats: consumer fact-sheet-like documents, chemical specification sheets, custom geographic maps, dictionary definitions, etc.

When I have referenced materials from one of the databases I have used the Zotero webpage cite type and I added additional relevant information by hand — sometimes with additional hand-editing in the bibliography after the Zotero field codes have been removed.