Strange error for book entries with DOI in Extra field and APA 6th edition style

I noticed a strange error: when I added a DOI entry in the Extra field of a book, all APA 6th edition styles will only add the DOI entry, but leave out Place and Publisher information. Whenever I delete the DOI information, the style works fine again. Other information in the Extra field does not affect this.

Zotero 5.0.66, MacBookPro, 10.14.4 (18E226), APA 6th edition styles updated 4/27/2019
  • That's actually on purpose and is part of the APA style, even if it's a bit of a weird rule: if you do have DOI, no other publisher information should be included (@bwiernik will be able to say where exactly that rule comes from, but I did double-check it when we first discussed the change)
  • edited May 6, 2019
    As shown here and also in the generic book/chapter references in the APA manual, only one “source” element is listed for an item. The order of priority is DOI, URL, then publisher/place. The 2012 APA Guide to Electronic References confirms this order.

https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/02/books-and-book-chapters-what-to-cite.html
  • Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the link and the info! This is such an amazing and supportive community.
  • Thanks for clarifying this! I have just been making revisions to an article and noticed that a number of my refs no longer included place and publisher info (which they did when I originally submitted the article). Now I understand why :-)