All Zotero files deleted. Can I get them back?

I tried to change the online account Zotero (desktop) syncs with. Although Zotero warned me that it would delete all files, if I want to change it, I did't want to believe and proceeded. Well, Zotero wasn't joking. Since I use Zotero primarily as a clear interface for storing and managing academic pdf files, some hundred files that were only stored in Zotero are now gone. Is there any way to get them back? The (about 800) files are not showing up in the bin (win 10).
  • If you've synced the other account, that data would still be in your online library, and you could sync it with another computer or another Zotero profile.

Otherwise you'd have to restore from a backup.
  • thanks for your comment!
    i deleted my old account, thats why i wanted to sync a new one. and no, unfortunately, i don't have a backup. so zotero deleted my files straight into nirvana, is that right?
  • I'm afraid so. For what it's worth, this is the message it gave you:
    This Zotero database was last synced with a different account (‘[Account 1]’) from the current one (‘[Account 2]’). If you continue, data associated with the ‘[Account 1]’ account will be removed from this computer.
    And you had to check a checkbox that said "Remove existing data" before continuing.

When did you delete the old account? Had you synced that with any other computers?
  • Ok, I left a comment some time ago but it might not have functionned (not logged in). Anyway, I did it all the same as our friend @userjakob just mentionned.
    The only difference is that I saved a copy of my library and would like to link it back to my new account. Not saved at all, it persists in erasing it all everytime I want to link it with my new account. Is there any command to remove or change ?
  • @cbiets: The best you can do at the moment is export the library to Zotero RDF (with files) from the old account, and then reimport after switching accounts. This will reset Date Added/Modified and break citation links in existing documents, but it should generally work.

If you haven't actually deleted your old account, it's much easier to just change your username on the site.

This behavior is in place both for technical reasons and to help people avoid accidentally combining data from different accounts, but we're planning to make it easier to move library data to a new account in a future version.
  • @dstillman : thank you very much for your answer. I ended using the copy I made to reconnect it to my former Zotero account. Everything went back as before.
    Maybe, instead of removing all the data, Zotero could make a copy automatically (Zotero.old) during the process. People would just have a warn that they need X free space on their computer. Or, another option would be to have a really clear page to manage your personnal account ; changing name or pseudo, changing password, linking accounts together etc. that wouldn't change the scientific data. Thanks anyway.
  • Or, another option would be to have a really clear page to manage your personnal account ; changing name or pseudo, changing password, linking accounts together etc. that wouldn't change the scientific data.
    You can change your username and password from your account settings.