Zotero cannot sync with the group library anymore

Hi all,

I hope you can help me - we use Zotero (5.0.45) with a group library for very long now. Since last week, Zotero can't sync the library anymore, although the single Zotero accounts work fine. We get this error message: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." In the settings of the Zotero Connector (for Firefox) I get the following items:

[JavaScript Error: "Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
Zotero.Messaging</this.init/Zotero[ns][meth]</<@moz-extension://c9af69b8-5ee2-4df2-9b56-ea2f91848f06/messaging_inject.js:73:14
" {file: "[object Object]"}]

[JavaScript Error: "Frame not found, or missing host permission" {file: "undefined"}]

The whole company had to change proxy settings in Firefox last week - to "automatically detect proxy settings for this network". Could this maybe be the problem? And if yes, how can we change the proxy settings for Zotero to make the sync work again?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Steffi
:)
  • Zotero uses the system proxy settings by default. For the equivalent of Firefox's "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" mode, you'll need to change network.proxy.type to 4 in the Config Editor in the Advanced pane of the preferences.

More details: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connection_error

(Also, Zotero 5.0.45 is out of date, so you should upgrade. Zotero 5.0.55 added a clearer warning for network errors that provides a link to that page.)