Auto generation of bibliographic information from pdf metadata

One of the best features in Zotero is the ability to drag-and-drop a pdf of a journal article into Zotero, and Zotero pulls the bibliographic data from the pdf and develops a citation suitable for use in writing. Recently, this functionality stopped working for me. Now when I drag-and-drop, the pdf lands in Zotero but the bibliographic information (author, title, date, volume, issue, journal, pages) is not auto-created. I have also tried the "Create Bibliography from item . . . " drop down menu option, which yields a message that states "Error: The items you have selected contain no references. Please select one or more references and try again."

Now, I am pretty certain that the items (pdf) I selected have bibliographic data in them. They were downloaded from major publishers (Elsevier) and have worked for this purpose in the past.

I am running Zotero 5.0.66 on macOS 10.14.3. Below is an example of one of the articles I was trying to load into my Zotero database:

https://proxy.library.upenn.edu:2069/science/article/pii/S0014488615000345

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • edited May 2, 2019
    Lets be sure that we are discussing the same article. Here is a non-proxy link:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014488615000345

That seems to be an open access article. I can get the PDF file and metadata from the pdf either with my university proxy or without going through a proxy. Remember that the best way to get full article metadata is to view the web version via your browser and to click on the Zotero download-article icon. The metadata will flow into your library.

edit: Is "Automatically retrieve metadata for PDFs" ticked in your Zotero Preferences General control box?
  • Right, as DWL says, saving from the ScienceDirect article page should work and is the recommend approach. But Zotero should also successfully retrieve metadata for the PDF and create a parent item as long as that setting is on, and does for me.