Citations not adding from Chrome Extension

Hello -

I have been using the Zotero extension for Chrome on MacOS for several years with limited issues. I have Zotero 5.0.66 application on my Mac, Zotero Connector for Chrome 5.0.55, Chrome 74.0.3729.108 running on MacOS Mojave 10.14.3.

A few weeks ago, the extension would add sources, but would no longer correctly identify source as a journal article or other source, but only add sources in as a webpage.

For a week or so since, citations I have been trying to add to my Zotero account have not been adding. First, it will tell me to reload the page to use the extension. After reloading, a dialog box will pop up that says "Saving to Zotero.org" but never finish or show up in my library.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the plug-in, and logged in and out of Zotero, and still have no success.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Ryan
  • edited May 2, 2019
    First, it will tell me to reload the page to use the extension.
    What's the exact message? That might be a message from Chrome, but it's certainly not something you should get repeatedly, and if you do it suggests a problem with your Chrome installation.
    After reloading, a dialog box will pop up that says "Saving to Zotero.org" but never finish or show up in my library.
    We should debug the first problem first, since that might indicate a more general problem, but do you have Zotero open on your computer?

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connector_zotero_unavailable

It won't try to save to zotero.org unless you gave it permission to (which you shouldn't do it you have Zotero installed) and it hasn't been able to communicate with the Zotero program since then.