Request ability to disable syncing of attachments to group library

Hi,

I am working collaboratively using Zotero on a research project, and I would like to disable the attachment syncing through the cloud rather than through the app. This is because I don't want people accidentally uploading documents, which could cause copyright issues.

Regards,
Anna.
  • You can disable any file sharing (or restrict it to group administrators) for a group under Library Settings online
  • Thanks Adam. Where is this setting? All I see is:

Library Reading
    Anyone on the internet
    Any group member
    Who can see items in this group's library?

Library Editing
    Any group members
    Only group admins
    Who can add, edit, and remove items from this group's library?

File Editing
    Any group members
    Only group admins
    No group file storage
    Who can work with files stored in the group? Public Open groups cannot have file storage enabled.

When I set File Editing to No group file storage, I am unable to edit any of the entries anymore.
  • When I set File Editing to No group file storage, I am unable to edit any of the entries anymore.
    What exactly do you mean by that? You can't add/edit files or you can't edit at all?

If you can't edit files, that would be as described and you'd have to describe a bit more who should and who shouldn't be able to do this.
  • I am doing "Find Available PDFs" to store locally, and when I sync after attaching a pdf, I get the following dialog box
    =====
    You no longer have file editing access for the group ‘Atom_Probe_Research_Index’, and files you’ve changed locally cannot be uploaded. If you continue, all group files will be reset to their state on zotero.org.

If you would like a chance to copy modified files elsewhere or to request file editing access from a group administrator, you can skip syncing of the group now.

Skip Group
    Reset Group Files and Sync
    ======

I would like
    (1) the group admins to be able to edit the tags on each record, and
    (2) for people who have access to the group library to be able to attach their own pdfs locally but not sync these attachments with the cloud.
  • Right, you can't do that. You can't allow attaching PDFs but not allow syncing them.
    Given the potential for confusion that a setting where every group member has different attachments would be, I don't think that will be added, even if it's technically possible (which I don't know).
  • Oh ok. But it's still possible for the Zotero client to not sync the attachments to the group library?

Preferences > Sync > File Syncing > Sync attachment files in group libraries using Zotero storage (uncheck)

I guess I'll just have to tell the group admins to make sure this box is unchecked.