EJN style: In text citation lists all author instead of et al.

edited April 27, 2019
with some in-text citations, the zotero word plug-in lists all authors instead of writing "et al.".
I cannot see any systematics, but when one specific piece of literature shows that bug then it shows it for all citations of this literature in the whole document.
I am using the European Journal of Neuroscience style.

It happens when citing this paper for example:
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/344/6181/313?casa_token=m_iE-s1ryk0AAAAA:7la1iOvm9vygg4cZzEFfMwb5addxw2gWjgIqk0e711uobvUkqAtWfApzp26izOjlECnWnzulWv-N
  • edited April 28, 2019
    Hi,
    Just tested this in a document and can't reproduce this. It imports just fine from the link and cites equally fine in Word.

Can you take a fresh document and try those citations out?
    How are you inserting the citations?
  • Thanks damnation. The problem disappears when using a new empty document.
    Must be a bug in our manuscript. I inserted the citation via the zotero plugin with shortcut ctrl+alt+a

For time reasons, we now just worked with suppressing the author and adding the author as a prefix.
  • I wouldn't do the author-in-prefix thing.
    You can go through this to debug the document:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents
  • I would guess this is et al. disambiguation -- the style is written to list all authors of multi-author works up to the first different author to disambiguate them.
  • thank you adamsmith!
    this was the solution.

actually, in our case, there was no real disambuguation but an old zotero word plug-in citation of the same publication was created earlier by a different author with his zotero and zotero somehow kept it in the document as a reference.
    Now, I took over. When I added citations of the same paper refering to my zotero library, zotero recognized them as two distinct references and the et al. started...
    I just renewed all citations of the paper and the error disappeared.