date when the reference was last accessed

Is there anyway that Zotero can do this automatically? or should i do this manually?

Thanks

M
  • Zotero has an access date that can be included in citations if that's the question? But that doesn't change automatically if you revisit a webpage.
  • Thank you, how can i add it in references in IEEE(with URL) format? it shall i use different format of IEEE?

Thanks

M
  • That should be in there for all items with URL as [Accessed: Date] are you not seeing that?
  • No, i have to add the URL manually and and Access date is empty
  • I am able to get the URL to automatically show up in my citation, but even though I manually added a date in the "Accessed" field, it doesn't show up in my citation. I'm using MLA 8th edition.
  • @Meti123 - two things: 1) make sure URL and accessed date are entered in Zotero. 2) by default, URLs don't show up for journal articles with page ranges. You can toggle that behavior in the "Cite" tab of the Zotero preferences.

@mattiebyrd - MLA treat access dates as optional elements. We only include them when an item doesn't have a publication date (which is when the handbook says they're "especially important")
  • ok ... thanks
  • Hello,
    I have a few web pages to cite. As some time passed from when I first visited them, I would now like to revisit the web pages to check, whether something has changed. Of course, I would also like to renew/update the access date. Is there a way to do that without completely adding the pages again. Because in my document references are linked to the "old" web page. Adding them newly and deleting the old ones would destroy the citation and mean I had to add the web pages newly to my document as well.

I would be grateful for your help and ideas!

Thank you in advance!
  • Found a solution myself :)
    For everyone who has the same issue: just readd the webpage, then in Zotero Standalone you can select two citations and fuse them. In doing so, Zotero asks which of the differing metadata you want to keep and you can to select the new/ correct one e.g. access date. The newly created fused reference is recognized and updated in the document with the new metadata without any problems!
  • You can now just overtype the Accessed datefield in the Info pane with 'today' (no quotes)