Feature request: Pinboard of thumbnails

edited April 9, 2019
Hi there,

Going through the vastness of the personal publication library via a list of e.g. titles can become an arduous task, also when using collections. Remembering the contents of a publication by e.g. one of its figures seems more intuitive. Cf. 'cover grid' layout in the Calibre ebook management software.

Thus I want to request a Zotero feature where one can switch between list and thumbnail view, such as e.g. in Windows' file explorer. One could choose a figure of the publication to be displayed. Scrolling through all thumbnails like e.g. with Google image search may serve beneficial to Zotero users.

Kind regards
blirrpp
  • Thumbnail view is pretty much standard on...well, every app these days. How can a paper management app not allow thumbnail view? It's the most intuitive view if you're a visual person, and it's absence from Zotero is baffling.
  • Hi Zotero developers. I'm a new user to Zotero and it is great for article management. I also have an image library I have created as a collection, and this is great for the metadata for image citing. But the gap is image search.

The fastest way to search for an image is by visual recognition (human, me), through a gallery of thumbnails. I would endorse other users requests for an option for thumbnail view for Item type: artwork, say 100pix in greatest dimension. This function would increase the convenience and usability of Zotero , and would be of great appeal to Architects, Art Historians, teachers and researchers, increasing the appeal of Zotero to a wider user group.

Is such a development likely? I would volunteer to do user testing and give constructive feedback. Could the software be similar to that used for File Explorers? .
  • Most of my work involves images from archives, and I use Zotero for collecting metadata and generating citations. I've been floating between Dropbox and NVivo for organization/tagging/comparison, but neither program is really suited to this. If Zotero had a 'thumbnail view' I wouldn't need any other program.

Please consider introducing this feature!
  • You might consider using Tropy, another app from the same group as Zotero that is designed for primary image management in research: https://tropy.org/
  • This would be an amazing feature.

Zotero developers, please consider introducing this feature!