Attachment syncing problem

Hello,

Thanks for excellent software that has helped with multiple writing projects.

After some time using Google Backup and Sync to sync my Zotero 'storage' folder, I found it slowed down Google Backup and Sync, so I decided to switch back to Zotero storage.

I paid for 6 GB storage, and I checked all options under Zotero Standalone > Preferences > Sync > Settings to sync automatically, sync full-text content, sync attachments, etc. I cliked the green arrow sync button in the top right corner. However, after multiple shut downs and restarts, on Zotero.org, there is only metadata available and no attachments, except perhaps the occasional very recently added attachment.

Could you provide some guidance on how to get Zotero to sync attachments? I tried the solutions I read on other discussions.
  • See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing
    First, make sure you're not getting a sync error and syncing is actually finished (6GB upload can take a bit). Then continue with step 4. on that page.
  • Thanks for the help.

I am not getting a sync error. Zotero says syncing is finished.

I then followed instructions under number 4 to Reset File Sync History. That didn't help.

What I then discovered was that some of the attachments I previously had are gone on Zotero Standalone. Some attachments show as greyed out, and when I double click on them, I'm asked to 'locate' the files online. (This makes sense of why Google Backup and Sync asked me to approve removing more than 100 folders from syncing, folders within Zotero storage. I approved them, but I should have not.)

At the same time, a different set of attachments are not available on My Library on zotero.org. Metadata labelled 'Attachment details' are there.

One thing that might be creating problems is that I have let Google Backup and Sync continue to sync Zotero storage files while I make the transition to Zotero syncing attachments. I wanted to wait and see how well Zotero storage waits before cancelling Google syncing. Maybe that is creating problems.

Do you have any advice?
  • edited April 10, 2019
    Some attachments show as greyed out
    That sounds like a misunderstanding. Something being grayed out just means it doesn't match your current search but that its parent or child item does, not that the file is missing.
    when I double click on them, I'm asked to 'locate' the files online
    You're not asked to locate anything online. The message is just telling you that the file can't be found locally. Locating is only relevant for 1) linked files that you've moved or 2) stored files that you've renamed within their storage directories, which should be avoided.

If something moved your storage folders, the files would certainly be missing in Zotero, and that's not something we'd be able to help you with. But I'm not sure why a sync/backup program would be moving your files.

Can you provide a Debug ID for a file that you can't open locally that you also added on that computer?
  • Thanks for the guidance. The basic problem is still happening: most attachments that I can see on Zotero Standalone aren't available online at zotero.org storage. My current usage online is listed as 490.2 MB, when it should be much more.

Here's a Debug ID: D1412366766

If you have any suggestions, please pass them along.
  • No files to upload for My Library
    All the files you have locally are already synced. And if a file can't be opened locally, it obviously won't sync to your online library.
  • Also note that linked files won't sync. Your debug output doesn't include opening of a local file, so I can't see what you're actually referring to.
  • OK, I tried creating another Debug ID: D1034488357

On this one, I synced files.

Then, I opened an attachment that is available locally (a pdf).

For this same attachment, I can see 'attachment details' on zotero.org storage, but the pdf file itself is not there, and I can't open it.

That is my basic problem: attachment files don't seem to be syncing. Do you have any clues?
  • Did you use Purge Storage from the storage settings page (or when switching between Zotero storage and WebDAV in the client) last September/October? All files added before then appear to have been unlinked from your account, though it looks like they were previously uploaded.

In any case, Reset File Sync History should reassociate the files as long as they exist on the computer you're using, which is the case for the PDF you opened there. This is Step 5 on the Files Not Syncing page:
    If the file hasn't been uploaded correctly but syncing completes on Computer A without a sync error, go to the Sync→Reset pane of the Zotero preferences on Computer A and select Reset File Sync History. This shouldn't be necessary under normal usage, but it will cause Zotero to check every attachment to make sure that it has been uploaded to the server.
    Generate a Debug ID for the first sync after the reset, and post it here if the file doesn't appear online (but I'd expect it to).