how to creating bibliography with journal abbreviation in zotero

Hi, there,
I can't find option to set journal abbreviation in zotero when i try to copy a bibliography.
I have to edit it after copying to my word.
How can i solve this problem?
Many thanks!
  • By "copy a bibliography," do you mean adding an item to Zotero from a web view, or copying a formatted bibliography from Zotero to a document?
  • copy a bibliography directly form zotero app , and then paste in a word file.
  • For journals that are in Zotero's abbreviation list, with styles that abbreviate journal titles, the abbreviations should be applied in the bibliography. There is a setting that you may need to select:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/journal_abbreviations
  • It's a bit more complicated:
    1. Journal abbreviations have to be indicated in the citation style. If the citation style isn't set up for abbreviations, there is no option to use them (other than modifying the style which is reasonably easy for this).

2. For styles that do use abbreviations, the behavior is different when using the Word add-on and when copying from Zotero. When copying from Zotero, journal abbreviations use whatever is in the Journal Abbr. field and if that's empty use the full journal name.

3.Only when using the Word processor add-on to cite & add the bibliography does Zotero use an automated list/algorithm (you can switch to the Journal Abbr. field in the Document Preferences when using the Word add-on).
  • Ah, thanks, I didn't know about the wrinkle at 2 & 3. Why is there a difference in behavior?
  • I don't think there is a substantive reason. It's just because the automated abbreviations are built into the word processor integration.
  • It would be nice to unify this behavior, perhaps as part of moving the integration into Zotero proper instead of bundling as an add-on.
  • edited April 8, 2019
    Zotero ships its abbreviation list with the client, I think. It's only Jurism that uses a plugin, and it ships with the client (in the same way as the word processor plugins).

In Jurism, the abbrevs are applied in all contexts (word processor, style editor, exported bibliographies), so it's certainly possible to unify the behavior.
  • I think bwiernik is referring to the entire word processor integration.
  • But for your above -- I agree with bwiernik that i'd be great if we could get the same abbreviation behavior for "create bibliography" we currently have for the word processors, so the fact that that's already the case in juris-m is excellent news.
  • > When copying from Zotero, journal abbreviations use whatever is in the Journal Abbr. field and if that's empty use the full journal name.

So, I think it would be nice if there were a function to fill the "Journal Abbr" field for each entry (perhaps in the right-click context menu).