Zotero Word Plugin - tags

So far I rely heavily on tags for sorting my zotero library - in this situation it would be valuable if the zotero word plugin allows one to sort by tags as well.
  • We could probably add the tag selector to the Add Citation window, but note that you can currently at least use the quick search bar to filter by tags. (Obviously, this is less than ideal for common words or tags you don't remember.)
  • one of my problems with the search function is that searching for an author name doesn't only bring up articles by that author, but also articles that cite the same author - which is one of the reasons I have tags for certain influential authors.

It's likely that I could learn to narrow my searches using multiple search terms, but since I'm used to navigating my library via the tags, it would be nice to be able to access them in the Add Citation window.
  • edited December 7, 2015
    Either this is very low priority or there was a good reason for not implementing it yet.... I prefer the classic citation dialog and can't utilize my tags effectively when I need them most. I'm not sure why people discourage the use of collections to organize literature while this limitation exists. Have all the savvy users already abandoned MS Word, hence the lack of interest in this feature?
  • Who is discouraging collections? That seems rather odd -- I'd say of the users I know more are using collections than tags.

The lack of focus on fancier searches in the word add-on has less to do with lack of Word users (there are plenty) than with lack of demand of complex searches. People usually know what they want to cite before they're citing it. Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have -- agree with Dan on that -- but that's why it's not treated as something urgent.
  • edited December 7, 2015
    (Ignore my edited-out typo claim, I'm all over the place today.) It was an observation I made while learning to use Zotero - I saw a lot of recommendations to rely primarily on tags rather than collections (for the obvious benefits). I've personally settled on a comfortable mixture of the two (as I assume most people do).

You brought up good points. I was just surprised that more people didn't miss the ability to visually browse tags to narrow searches (no comments since 2009). I suppose the writing process does naturally reduce the need to browse one's sources.

I noticed that any collection I have selected in Zotero also gets selected in the citation dialog when it's launched. This could be made even more convenient by extending it to items (and thus take advantage of Zotero's full search functionality). Of course, the citation dialog would then have to support multiple selections in the item list (which would be an improvement on its own). I frequently find myself ctrl-clicking to select a few items before I remember that it's not possible. However, given the larger issues, such ease-of-use matters understandably take a back seat.