Citing Statutes in APA

Hi,

I am trying to cite multiple statutes in APA format. No matter whether I put the formal act name in the Act or Author field, it shows up with a . space as below:

Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985. , Pub. L. No. 99–272, 100 Stat. 82. (1986).

I believe it should look like this and don't know why there is a period and space if there's nothing entered for two names:

Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, Pub. L. No. 99–272, 100 Stat. 82. (1986).

I have entered "Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985" in the Author field as one field instead of 2, "99–272" in the Public Law Number field, "100 Stat. 82." in the Pages field, and "1986" in the Date Enacted field. This seems to get everything looking how I want it except for the period space ". "
  • @bwiernik -- you didn't test for legal item types, did you?
    This works for me in Chicago (full note) but not in APA
  • What do you mean by "test for legal item types"?
  • (statements starting with @ are intended for a specific person, usually to draw in their specific expertise)
  • edited April 4, 2019
    I did not test any of the legal item types other than patents in APA. I didn’t touch any part of the legal items code. I can add it to my list to check, but won’t get to it before May 1. @adamsmtih @fbennett If you have some legal items for testing, that would be helpful.
  • Then that's my code. I can try to look.