Dashes under Citations in MS Word for Mac

Using OS Mojave 10.14.3 and Word for Mac 16.21. I am getting dashes under my new citations. Clicking refresh would remove them, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
  • That's just this: https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-5-0-36/#faster-citing-in-large-documents

Are you saying that they're not going away when you click Refresh? What happens, exactly?
  • Nothing happens. The dashes remain, and they do show up in printed version. I know my citation style is correct, and I need this dashes removed. Thanks
  • In document preferences, I have disabled automatic updating as suggested, but still nothing happens when I refresh--can't remove those dashes.
  • Are they still active citations? If you place your cursor in one and click Add/Edit Citation, do you get the Zotero interface to edit the existing citation?
  • Now my whole document crashed. I'll force quit and try this and let you know.

OK; doc back up. Yes, active citation. But I just now moved on to a different citation and the same thing happens.
  • Now my citation disappeared. Please help. I am really pressed for time, and need this functionality desperately. Thanks much
  • Using Word for Mac 16.23 (version 190309). Should I re-download Zotero?
  • OK. I re-downloaded Zotero, re-added Word plug-in, restarted Word, and refresh works again to remove dashes. Apparently when Word requires updates, one needs to reinstall Zotero and plug-ins.
  • It's definitely not necessary to reinstall Zotero after Word updates, but you of course want to be sure Zotero is auto-updating properly. But glad to hear it's working for you now.