No longer uploading citations from Google Scholar

I am new to using Zotero and today was uploading citations from Google Scholar in Firefox 66.0.1. All went well for about 9 citations. After that every time I tried to upload a citation I got this message "An error occurred while saving this item. See Troubleshooting Translator Issues for more information." and the citation didn't upload to Zotaro. This happened during a work session, not between and not programs were closed or opened between it working and not. Also if I go back and try to re-upload citations that previously worked, I get the same error message. I went to the Troubleshooting Translator Issues page and everything seemed to check out so I'm at number 12. Below is the error that seems to keep coming up:

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP GET https://scholar.googleusercontent.com/scholar.bib?q=info:6e6imL3J1FUJ:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&scisig=AAGBfm0AAAAAXJw3LnOyLy3QKO4CscNSR7u8FIxWdEra&scisf=4&ct=citation&cd=-1&hl=en failed with status code 403"]

Is something wrong with my computer or has Google scholar just blocked my ability to use the Zotero connector for Firefox?
  • (Google seems to have recently ratcheted up its throttling since what's described there. In addition to using the My Library feature, as described there, you can also just click through to the article page and save from there.)
  • I got the same issue last Monday, and I can not use Zotreo extension installed in chrome. I was asked to do a robot test every time I made a single query ( Somone one told me actually the robot test I was doing contributes to the data collection to train the autodrive car developed by Google). I did check my Zotero, it seems like repetitively it saved the same citation 12 times, even though I only clicked once for the citation and appeared the same error as you mentioned here. I still can not use it right now.

Hopefully someone can provide a solution. I like google scholar and Zotero both so much, such a pain for me that they are not compatible right now for some reason.
  • edited April 3, 2019
    Workarounds are explained on the linked page and in my comment above.
  • Yes, it appeared that I reached the limits and had to use the workarounds previously mentioned. A week later, I was able to use the connector for about another 8 or 9 citations before the problem came up again. I guess it's just something we'll have to deal with.
  • @dstillman we could certainly try to throttle by a couple of seconds in the web translator to get people blocked a bit more slowly?
  • Yeah, we should, since it seems like Google has gotten much more restrictive here.
  • edited April 10, 2019
    https://twitter.com/JohnJJShaw/status/1115553669720739840

This suggests that Google Scholar has in fact just gotten much more restrictive with its RIS export.