Zotfile

I am using Zotero 5 as a standalone program on Linux Mint 19 XFCE 64-bit. I would like to install the zotfile.xpi extension, but clicking on the link on the Github page tries to install it in Firefox, which is not what I want - from what I understand the FF extension path is obsolete now anyway.

I downloaded both the zip file and the tarbal (zotfile-5.0.9.tar.gz), and unpacked both. In both the "readme" file it says:

1. download .zip file from github
2. extract .zip file
3. recreate .zip file containing all the files at the top level, i.e., install.rdf and the chrome directory need to be at the root of the .zip file and not under zotfile/
4. rename the file to .xpi

For step 3 I opened a terminal in the folder containing the unpacked files & folders of e.g. the zip file, then did "zip inventednameofnewlyzippedfile *", and renamed it to inventednameofnewlyzippedfile.xpi (step 4). After installing that in Zotero I tried it out by right-clicking a PDF file I have in Zotero, but the "manage attachments" option does not occur in the context menu.

So, I probably did something wrong in step3, probably because I am a Linux newbie.
Can anyone tell me how to execute step 3, or, better still, where can I download a real .xpi file??
  • edited March 26, 2019
    Download the xpi file
    Open Zotero -> Tools -> Add-ons
    In the Add-ons window, wheel in the upper-right, "Install Add-On from File"
    Choose the xpi file
  • @poettli thanks for your reply. I am fully aware how to add an .xpi file to Zotero. My question is for help on downloading the zotfile.xpi - please read my post carefully.

I would like to download the file, and not have to jump through hoops to create it myself. But if creation is the only way, I need help on how to do that in Linux.
  • @KlaasVaak It is written when you have the mouse over the download link: "in Firefox, download file with right-click 'Save Link As...'"
  • I think the problem is that they're on the wrong page. You want to download from http://zotfile.com/ at the top left.
    (If you do need an .xpi built from the latest commit on github, building yourself is the only option).
  • Oh yes, I was referring to the zotfile website.
  • @poettli Thanks, you're a star. I had not seen that mouse hover message. That text should be incorporated into the instructions because like that it is not clear at all.

@adamsmith Yes, that's right. I don't want to build anything myself :-)

I do get the "manage attachments" in the context, but right-clicking on a PDF file I have in Zotero, then clicking on "extract annotations" pops up a message:

"Attachments skipped because they are top-level items, snapshots or the file does not exist."

Can you help me with that, or should I open another thread?
  • Most ZotFile operations only work on files attached to Zotero items, so you'd need to either retrieve metadata or where that fails right-click --> Create Parent Item in Zotero
  • @adamsmith Many thanks for your help, Adam.
    Yes that works. I tested it by creating a parent item, then extract the highlights.

Each highlight is followed by a number in blue between brackets, e.g. (.14). And at the top of the extracted document there is this:
    Extracted Annotations (26/03/2019, 18:44:20)
    Can you tell me what the .14 and the 18:44:20 mean? I assume it is something to do with time, but in what way?
  • I haven't seen the number as .14, but Zotfile tries to note the page number and insert a clickable link to it in the note.

18:44:20 is the time. 6.44pm and 20 seconds.
  • @adamsmith The .14 is just an example. As I scroll through the document with the extract there are higher numbers like .16, .17, .19, etc.
    I just discovered that they are clickable indeed, but not in a conventional way. If you click on a link you get 3 options, 1 of which is to open the link, which works.
    Editing a link - 1 of the other 3 options - showed me the .14 means page 14.

So, thanks for clearing that up for me. FYI: I am new to Zotero (as you undoubtedly guessed), have only used it for a few months, and as a bookmark manager only. In Windows I was using Foxit Reader for PDFs, and FR supports exporting the highlights. I switched over to Linux 2 months ago, and FR there does not support that feature. Someone mentioned Zotero for that to me, so I am very pleasantly surprised.

Once again, thanks for your help.