Import from Mendley with linked PDFs?

Hi there,

I would love to switch from Mendeley to Zotero, but I cannot get it to work. I already installed the old version of Mendeley (to circumvent the database encryption), but trying different ways, I still only managed to import some aspects of my references, but never all aspects in together.

1. Using the Mendeley import in Zotero. No matter what I choose under "File Handling", it always copies (and renames) all PDFs into a new Zotero folde (with weird subfolder structures), rather than just linking to my PDF folder, that is already in place (Mendeley can interact with it just fine).

2. Exporting in Mendeley to .RIS. This leaves the PDF files where they are supposed to be, and creates links to them in Zotero, but it will not import my Folders/Categories.

Could anyone point me to the right direction on how to correctly import my Mendeley library to Zotero, preserving my folders/categories, and my PDF folder?

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Using the Mendeley import in Zotero. No matter what I choose under "File Handling", it always copies (and renames) all PDFs into a new Zotero folde
    Are you saying this happens for a fresh import, after starting from scratch? Note that, if you already imported once with the copy option selected and then go to import again without deleting those entries (and probably emptying the trash), it won't change the existing stored files.

If you don't need anything in your existing database, the cleanest option is to close Zotero, delete your Zotero data directory, and then repeat the import, being sure to select the link option. If you generate a Debug ID for the import, we can look at it if you end up with stored files instead of linked files.

(Also note that files in Mendeley's internal "Downloaded" directory, inside the app data directory, are always copied.)
  • Thanks. I tried this resolution--deleting the entire library, reimporting while checking "link" option, however again Zotero creates "Storage" folder and copies the entire folder "Downloaded" into a newly created folder.. I guess that is what you commented (pasted below), any workaround? I don't want a duplication of all my PDF files..

(Also note that files in Mendeley's internal "Downloaded" directory, inside the app data directory, are always copied.)
  • If you don't want duplication, why not just delete the Downloaded folder from Mendeley? Zotero's Mendeley import is effectively a migration tool so it converts files that Mendeley stores internally into files that Zotero stores internally -- that seems quite reasonable to me.