Bibliography

Is it possible for me to keep the bibliography "constant" even when the citations are not enabled for automatic updates? My bibliography keeps disappearing in the doc I'm working on right now, and I get the message:

"Automatic citation updates are disabled. To see the bibliography, click Refresh in the Zotero toolbar."
  • If you turn off automatic citation updates, the bibliography can't update either, for the same reason.

https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-5-0-36/#faster-citing-in-large-documents
  • I just want to be able to see a "static" bibliography - even if it is not updating. Instead, the bibliography itself disappears and I get the message above.
  • I'm not really sure what you mean by that. A "static" bibliography wouldn't contain anything since when you disabled that setting, which would be dangerously misleading.

If you want to see a bibliography that reflects what you have in the document, you'll need to leave that setting enabled.
  • I understand why this is disabled (it wouldn't provide the useful reminder to refresh before saving the final draft), but I have to agree it would be convenient when working on a very long document to have most of the references in the bibliography, especially for sections that we haven't been working on recently. Maybe a line "Outdated bibliography: Last updated XXXX" at the top could indicate this. I'm not saying this needs to be a priority for development, but it's not an irrelevant suggestion.
  • I've created an issue. Thanks for the suggestion @djross3