Workflow

Hi Folks,
I'm a new zotero user and have some questions regarding more productive/efficient workflows.

Currently, the research I conduct ends up as a word doc and 1-2 excel spread sheets. I've begun using zotero to manage references and better track my sources, but want to know if there are zotero plugins or other services to improve my general workflow.

Few questions:
- in zotero, should I post my "original" word and excel sheets, and work/access them from zotero? I feel that it's a little redundant to go to into zotero to view references, but to have to go into another library (windows explorer) to view drafts and documents. What's a better way to manage my research stack?

- is there a way to display all certain tags across the entire library? e.g. if I have a tag entitled "urgent", could I quickly view all of the referential items tagged with that? If so, how, and if not, what's a better way to design my workflow in zotero to arrive at a comparable result?

Any other similar tips or input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
  • 1. I generally don't store files and data in Zotero and while it's possible, I think few people do. I'd recommend a good naming convention that lets you easily keep track of version of the file. You typically access these separately from literature you read and I assume you don't have hundreds of papers you write at the same time.

2. You can filter by clicking on a tag in the tag selector on the left. Especially for key tags such as "urgent" I'd very much recommend using colored tags. More on tags here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/collections_and_tags#tags
  • edited March 24, 2019
    Very helpful, thanks adamsmith.

Quick follow up-- is there a way to see the subfolders/files of a main folder displayed in the main view? For example, if I have a folder called "XYZ" and have subfolders for X, Y, and Z, I currently can only look see those subfolders from the navigation pane. Is there a way to display this in the main view?