Errors with Word/styles

I was not able to get the Zotero tab to appear in Word after some troubleshooting, so I decided to just reinstall Zotero. When I did that, I got a message that it could not load styles and translations.
  • [JavaScript Error: "Invalid or missing translator metadata JSON object in Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty.js" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translators.js" line: 273}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Win error 5 during operation remove on file C:\Users\[…]\Zotero\translators\Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty.js (Access is denied.
    )" {file: "(unknown module)" line: 0}]
    This is almost certainly due to security software on your system preventing Zotero from accessing its data directory.
  • I don't think so. Unsure if you mean PC system or network system, but either way that doesn't make much sense; I had it on this PC before, and this PC's basic image is the same as any other PC in our organization and we have them on others working just fine. And for the same reason, if you mean the network, I don't think so as other computers on the network are having no issues.
  • edited March 29, 2019
    This error means something outside of Zotero is preventing it from accessing the disk. That's not something we can do anything about, so you'll need to figure out what's causing it. Usually that means security software. It's also possible that the 'translators' directory in your Zotero data directory somehow had its permissions changed (but that's often because of security software as well). You can try just deleting 'styles' and 'translators' manually and restarting Zotero, but there's a decent chance this will happen again for the same reason.

(The fact that it's worked previously and works on other computers doesn't really matter. This is a problem outside of Zotero, and the relevant Zotero code hasn't changed in years, so the only possible cause is something outside of Zotero.)
  • I ended up inadvertently fixing it while I was trying to do something else; I cannot honestly tell you exactly what I did that fixed it, but it was in the standalone Zotero program whatever it was. I was attempting to get a preview of a reference list at the time.
  • You might still want to reset translators from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences and make sure that completes without any errors being logged.