Item type: "Newspaper Article" - what to do with number of newspaper?

Often newspapers are numbered, eg
Der fraynd (Peterburg) 12. (25.) Juli 1909
is no. 156 of that year.
Which is the designated field for that information?
Thanks, Mirjam
  • That would be “Issue” which is not currently listed for Newspaper Article, but you can add to Extra like this:
    Issue: 156

That will get picked up by most Citation styles.
  • Thanks for the suggestion & the info that it will get picked up by automatic Citation styles!
    Any chance the fild will be added to type "Newspaper article"?
  • It will likely be added when Zotero item types and fields are updated in the next major version (tentatively numbered Zotero 5.1)
  • Thanks again for the answer. One last question: is there any tentative time line for the release of version 5.1?
  • No timeline, no.
    I'm actually less convinced of issue numbers for Newspapers. I'm not seeing them cited very much (at all?) and exact dates are typically sufficient to clearly establish the citation.
  • Hi @adamsmith
    What you say is probably true for a bibliography of cited works within a scientific text written now.
    At the other hand: I am trying to use Zotero as a bibliographical program for a "standalone" bibliography of works / texts printed 100 or 200 years ago.
    For example, when I look up a book in the "Index of Yiddish Periodicals" housed at the National Libary of Israel I do get the issue number.
    Eg http://tinyurl.com/der-fraynd-a-briv-fun : 2nd year, number 23, 27th of January 1915. I do get the number-information also in the catalogue of the National Library of Russia, for the same issue of the newspaper: http://tinyurl.com/der-fraynd-russia
    (And yes, the connectors of the Index of Yiddish Periodicals and of the National Library of Russia to Zotero are quite bad.)
    So, for modern items it makes sense to omitt the issue numbers, for historical items it makes sense to keep them.
    Best, Mirjam