Suggestion improvement - Rename "Full text" while importing from Google Scholar

I am using the Zotero connector from Chrome to import references while browsing on Google Scholar. Everything goes smoothly, but the pdf associated aren't automatically renamed based on the metadata from the ref. This option is available while in Zotero, why not doing that automatically?
Thanks for considering my request.
  • edited March 21, 2019
    The files are renamed based on the parent metadata — you can see that if you choose Show File. The attachment title just isn't changed, because there's not much point in duplicating the parent metadata, and site translators can choose titles that make sense based on what's actually being saved. I'd say the real issue here is that triggering the rename operation manually shouldn't update the attachment title.
  • Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I am not sure to fully understand your point. In Zotero, when you clic on a doc associated to a reference, there is an option to rename it based on metadata. The same happen if you upload a pdf directly into Zotero. Why does the same not happen when you import a reference, and the associated pdf??
  • edited March 21, 2019
    The attachment title you see in the middle pane isn't the same as the actual filename. When you save from the web, the actual filename is always renamed based on the parent metadata, which you can see if you right-click on the attachment and select Show File.

As I say, there's an inconsistency here in that when you use the manual rename option it also changes the attachment title, but I'm saying that that's the behavior that should probably change, because just repeating the filename in the items list, where you already have the metadata on the parent item, isn't really valuable.
  • edited March 21, 2019
    Thanks for clarifying. From a Zotero perspective it might indeed be redundant, but when you open 5 different pdfs in whatever viewer, and all tabs are named "Full text"; it is very annoying... So renaming the file is (at least for me) very useful, if not mandatory.
    Thanks
  • edited March 21, 2019
    Again, the actual file is renamed — you can verify this yourself with Show File — so you wouldn't see "Full Text" when viewing the PDF. "Full Text" is just the name shown in the middle pane in Zotero itself.

If you're actually seeing "Full Text" in your PDF reader, something is wrong, but that's almost certainly not the case, and if you think it is we'd want to know the exact steps you're taking to reproduce that as well as a screenshot, which you can upload somewhere (e.g., Dropbox) and post a link to here.
  • edited March 21, 2019
    You are right. Didn't realized they were properly renamed when opened in a viewer. Sorry for that and thanks a lot for your assistance.