collaborative literature review

I'm searching for a tool for a collaborative literature review. After some reading it seems zotero might be the choice, but I have some questions to answer before I can make a decision. If experienced users kindly provide yes/no answers or some detailed instructions, that'll be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Our task is to extract certain information from papers and put the information in a structured format such as self-defined fields in bibtex (sampleSize = {200}, dataPublic = {yes}, etc.) in addition to conventional fields for citation (author, title, journal, year, etc.). We could assign each member certain number of papers and have them do their own and then combine all the results. This requires a good estimate of workload for each person. Also, there could be a lot of human errors in their manual typing of the field names. A better way is to share one library online and pre-define the extra fields by the leader for all the papers to be reviewed and have the members fill the information to the shared library without a fixed workload, which seems possible using the group function of zotero.

Here are my questions:
(1) Is it possible for the group owner to pre-define bibtex fields for all the papers in a library with empty values to be filled later by other members? This would avoid human errors by individual members when manually typing in the fields.
(2) Without budget to buy unlimited storage and without access to other cloud drives (gov computers), is it possible that the group only shares the meta data with the 300M storage provided by zotero and have the pdf files in their local machines?
(3) what's the right way to cite zotero in publications?

Thank you for your help.
  • 1) No. But I am wondering why you wouldn't want to capture that information in a spreadsheet instead (Zotero can export to CSV, so you could use it to set up the spreadsheet)
    2) Yes and No. You can absolutely just sync the metadata, but there is no way to have local files linked to Zotero items in a group (since everyone has a different file structure locally)
    3) It's not common to cite Zotero (just like you wouldn't cite Word or Excel) but if you want to, you'd just use a standard software citation, i.e. something along the lines of

Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media (2019). Zotero, version 5.0.64. https://zotero.org
  • 1) If the collection isn't static (which is likely for a lit review), and if you want to be able to cite the same items later, I could see why you'd want to have the metadata with the item rather than having to update the CSV as new items come in. You could have the owner paste in a template in the extra field, aided by a save-search that shows items that don't have the template

2) while decidedly labor-intensive and error-prone, wouldn't it be possible to set up all attachments as linked items, copying the attachments in as needed, assuming they'd all be doing this under a dedicated profile + single account rather than a group? OTOH -- while I can't peek into your wallet, it seems worth it to me to spend $120 to not have to do this. Penny-wise and all.