What are tags for in Zotero?

edited March 19, 2019
Hello everyone.

I used Scholar's aid for about 15 years before moving on to Zotero about 5 years ago. Although it was a great little software, Scholar's aid hadn't been supported in ages and I had to find something else.

I like Zotero, but I have always' wondered what the "tags" field is for (to be more precise... how is it making organizing notes easier?)

Scholar's aid had a similar feature, called "keywords'. I would systematically had multiple relevant keywords to every notes. The left window pane had a "keywords" tab that could be clicked and that would show all the keywords, and then all the notes associated with each keyword. This would allow the user to easily see all his or her notes (from their entire library), categorized by keywords. You can sort of see this here:

http://1001tapis-paris.fr/~scholars-aid

As a habit, I have continued to systematically add "tags" to every note, but, unless I'm missing something, its pretty much useless. Of course I can do a "search" in the "tags" fields, but it does present some drawbacks, for instance, you have to remember what your tags were (which is a problem if your have hundreds of them), and the search result leaves much to be desired (both the note and the source appear, which is not very "neat").

In any case, again, if I'm missing something, please kindly let me know how I can better make usage of tags, or, ifs its at all possible, I would suggest to the developers to add a clickable "tags" icon in the side pane window feature that would display every single "tag" and then show all the associated notes of each tag.

Cheers.
  • All tags are displayed in the tag selector on the left. There's also auto-complete as you type tags.

Clicking on a tag does serve as a filter. The fact that you also see parent items is just how Zotero works -- notes would make little sense when disassociated from their parents and are always displayed with them.
  • Thanks for your reply. I didn't know there was a "tag selector" on the left. Mine was minimized in the bottom left corner (as a gray line), hence, I never knew that this feature existed. I must have inadvertently minimized it myself early on, unless its minimized by default. In any case, thanks for the help, it really seemed odd to me that this feature was lacking.