Too many fields in the citation

Dear friends,
I'm trying to insert a citation to a word document using APA style, instead of inserting
"OTAKE et al., 2006" in the document (I can also see it in the quick format citation), it insert " (OTAKE, SHIMAI, TANAKA-MATSUMI, OTSUI, & FREDRICKSON, 2006)" to the document.

Is there something I can do?

I checked in Zotero and in Word2016 that it uses APA style.

Thank you.

Ilan.
  • APA style says to include up to 5 authors the first time an item is cited, then to switch to First et al. for subsequent citations to the item. Zotero does this correctly.

You will want to edit the items in your library to store the author names not in all uppercase letters.
  • Thank you for your answer.
    I used Zotero in the past and when I inserted a citation with many authors it incerted the first author et al or the fisrt and second and then et al.
    Now, in the quick format citation in Zotero I see it et al but in the word document there are too many authors and I wasn't that way before.
    The document has many citations and now it looks a bit ugly.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you.

Ilan.
  • edited March 17, 2019
    Like I say, Zotero correctly follows the APA rules for listing authors—it shows up to five authors on the first instance of an item being cited.

You might also be seeing Zotero following APA’s rules for name disambiguation. If two items would be shortened to the same format, such as “Smith et al., 1998”, extra names will be added to disambiguate the citations.

As I said above, Zotero very closely follows the APA requirements here.
  • Ok.
    Thank you very much.

Ilan.
  • Lots of styles have different citation rules, though, so if you want firstname, et al. for 3 authors or more, you'd be able to find lots of options if you're not insistent on APA otherwise.
  • Thank you Adam.
    I will check it.

Ilan.