Zotero keeps crashing

Hi guys

In the last month, Zotero keeps crashing on my system. Checking out the forum, I thought it might be the large number of trash items, so I deleted these. However it continues to crash.

Some background information:
- Computer type: Dell XPS 15
- Operating system: Windows 7
- Zotero directory storage: on the cloud (pCloud)
- Error code: 2082825497

Any help on this?

Thanks!

Nimi
  • What do you mean by crashing?

Also, what exactly do you mean by "Zotero directory storage: on the cloud (pCloud)"? Do you mean that you have your Zotero data directory directly in pCloud?
  • Thanks for the quick response!

I can't remember the exact error message. It says something like: 'Zotero has crashed.'

Zotero will crash about every half hour. I've used Zotero for years, and I've never had a problem. It just started about a month ago.

In addition to this, I've recently encountered a secondary (possibly unrelated problem): a number of articles with pdf attachments are no longer accessible. By this I mean that Zotero can't find the articles in the directory anymore, although it still has the article's metadata in the library.

The data directory is stored on my computer, but synced with my pCloud account.

Also, I have Zotero cloud storage, but have reached my quota some time ago (not sure if this is relevant).
  • The data directory is stored on my computer, but synced with my pCloud account.
    Well, but what do you mean by that? Is the data directory in a cloud storage folder on your computer? Or is it in the default location ("Zotero" in your home directory)?
  • The data directory is in a cloud storage folder on my computer, not in the default location.
  • OK, that's the problem. The Zotero data directory can't be placed in a cloud storage folder, as that will corrupt your database.

You should immediately move it out and then check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thanks, am doing so now.

Any thoughts about how to backup my Zotero folder then on the cloud (not Zotero)? Should I just manually upload it every week?