Beyond Style Editor Basics

I’ve mastered I think the basics of Mendeley, including how to choose and change citation styles. My question is about editing them in the CSL editor, which I am finding daunting. I recently received the instructions from the editors of a book I have submitted a chapter to, regarding the citation and bibliography formats they require. Their instructions are to follow the Harvard Reference style as used by Anglia Ruskin University. There is indeed a Mendeley “Anglia Ruskin University – Harvard” style which I have chosen and am using. The problem is that it doesn’t entirely conform to what the style (as described in the Anglia Ruskin official style documents) should be. For example, a standard in line citation with one author is formatted by Mendeley as follows: “(Smith, 2010)”, which is correct. However, when there are more than three authors, Mendeley gives the following (Jones et al., 2000) which is not correct, it should be (Jones, et al., 2000) namely with a comma after Jones.

I’d like to know how to edit the Anglia Ruskin style (in the CSL editor presumably) so that it puts the comma there. Obviously, I can do the commas by hand (I have in fact done so) but there are many other more difficult inconsistencies as well, and I figure if I could understand how to change what looks very simple (commas) I might be on the way to being able to modify the more complex errors in the Mendeley Anglia Ruskin style. I know how to open up the editor, I just don’t know how to edit. Below you have a link to the Mendeley help document regarding changing et al. This link is to information about how to change the number of authors required before Mendeley substitutes them for an et al, but there is nothing about the comma problem there (or at least I am unable to extrapolate from the information there how one would tell it to insert a comma).

Many thanks!
  • You want to find the "delimiter-precedes-et-al" and set it to "always". That's a property of the "name" node if you click on it on the left.

Unfortunately this isn't particularly instructive for editing in general -- more typically you'd add commas as group delimiters, but that doesn't apply here.
  • Wonderful! Thank you so much!
  • To be clear, though, you're not using a Mendeley style — you're using a CSL style, which works in many programs, including Zotero, which these forums are for. While you're welcome to ask CSL questions here, you should be aware that you're paying money to a multi-billion-dollar company that doesn't provide sufficient support for its own product and instead relies on volunteers from Zotero's open-source community for CSL support.